SVO mustang?

mygrain

unregistered
Anyone have one or had one? Are they good cars? Anything to be scared of? I found one for sale pretty cheap and its a cool looking car.

I had an '86.
If you can't find one that is solid, with all the SVO specific parts intact (hood, wheels, shifter, steering wheel, intercooler, etc.), you might want to be careful.
It's cheaper to buy a solid, original car than to buy one that needs a light restoration.
The 2.3 is pretty durable, and as all turbo cars, they respond well to mods. They had some pretty neat things at the time...4-wheel disc brakes, octane specific boost controller, Hurst shifter, turbo/intercooled.
I'd guess a solid, original example in nice shape would fetch ~$5-7k. More $$$ would get you a nicer car.
Later.
S.

The one Im looking at tommorrow is an 85. Its got 101k miles and the guy said its all stock except it had a white maaco paint job 2 years ago that still looks decent. Its supposed to be a 2 owner car, just inspected with a new exhaust and brakes. Hes asking $3200 but said hes flexible on that. So is it worth it?

I've got one

mines a 86. The 85.5's and 86's had bigger fuel injectors, "bigger cam", 3.73's(vs 3.55's), and a little different gear ratios in the tranny. They handled well for their time and still do ok. The bottom end is tough, no real faults that I can think of. Mine ran 13.90 @ 97 w/ a 3" downpipe,18 psi, k&n cone and DR's. Lots of hard to find parts though, shift knob and boot, rear wings, headlights, side spats, front bumper cover, fuzzy dash panel,front control arms, and lots other stuff I'm sure. All unique to the SVO. Buy a "complete" car w/ all original parts if you can. Good luck! Ross

I owned a 1984 many years ago. I had it for two years and never did a thing to it except for a clutch at 50 000 km. If I can recall correctly, the 1984 and early 1985 had 175 hp. The 1985.5 and 1986 had dual exhaust and 200 hp. I've owned a few Mustangs and can confidently say the SVO easily outhandled them all.