Surprising dyno results on a stock GN!

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
After 25+ years of tuning, building and modifying 1000's of GN's and TR's, it was very surprising and gratifying with our results of a dyno test on a customer's stock engine GN yesterday!

The weather was excellent in the 60's with a little humidity at ~ 30% here in the desert, and at our elevation HP results are normally 10% less than sea level.

The car has just over 100K and has a stock turbo which was replaced under warranty years ago, and the engine has only had the timing chain and valve springs replaced, and the intercooler is stock.

This car has been 116 MPH at the local drag strip, and went 134 MPH all out on the Utah salt flats!

With this groundwork being laid, the owner wanted to step up his performance, and still meet the criteria of a stock class car.

Since we were limited in engine mods and bolt-ons, we had to turn to tuning for extracting more HP, and be reliable especially at WOT for 3 miles or more.

It was absolutely necessary for us to have ample data available so a Powerlogger was mandatory.

After further discussion, a SD2 chip was also required as it would also provide the needed control and adjustment for reliable, long term high performance.

After a few days of garage and street tuning, and excellent support from Eric, the car was ready to show what it had for us!

At the dyno, the owner wanted a baseline of his stock chip and computer, as well as the optimum HP in the best configuration.

With a stock computer and a chip from one of the most renowned TR sources, we were pleasantly surprised when it pulled 378 HP.

We then installed the PL and SD2 chip, and the HP was at 406 HP, at 28 HP increase with the better tune and control of the SD2 chip! :)

We then took it to our final level and removed the stock MAF which is not needed when using the SD2 chip, we then found 8 HP for a total of 414 HP, a 36 HP increase over the chip! :cool:

After having installed many Powerloggers, and only a couple SD2 chips, this proves how important the tune is for power and reliability, this is by far the best alternative for the overall cost.

One caveat when working with the SD2 chip for the novice tuner [like me!], be sure you understand the process as you go, or find an experienced tuner [like I did!] before you push the limit.

Another point here is one that has been stressed over the many years, and that is "combination", which the most important factor to follow once you have established your performance goals. (y)

SUBSCRIBED! So when you say stock, do you mean no alky? What was the boost set at to get these numbers?

Damn, 116mph out of a GN that's fantastic!
It would be damn interesting to see if those dyno numbers can be duplicated based on all the info you learned or is the car a fluke!

I'm curious if anything was done to the oiling system to keep it alive on those 3 mile runs?

GOOD JOB!
ks

so this was a stock car and that was the power at the wheels?

how "stock" was it? stock exhaust? stock airbox? stock gearing? stock wastegate?

Yep the SD2 chip is the cats meow that's the reason I have one in car right now , My car is mod to hell and that chip makes my car run better than it ever has , good info Nick

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Sounds like that one was not built on a Friday! Shows how under rated the hp numbers from Buick were.

so this was a stock car and that was the power at the wheels?

how "stock" was it? stock exhaust? stock airbox? stock gearing? stock wastegate?

I stated that the engine was stock, and the turbo was a stock replacement which would have been furnished with an adjustable wastegate.

No factory air box and an open exhaust with stock gearing, and the oiling system is stock

The fuel was 110 octane and boost was ~26 psi with 42# injectors and a DW 300 fuel pump.

To put these results in perspective, the mods done to this car are what we would do to a stock GN when the customer wants a "little" more performance, and has a very limited budget.:)

We also would normally add alky injection, or use e-85 to make this a reliable and safe street build, but it is not allowed under the rule for this car's venue.

Last edited:
So your saying that this bone stock car trapped 116 mph? What this a mid 12 second pass?

If you don't mind me asking, have the heads been off/ported and has the cam timing been changed? Thanks but understood if you don't want to answer.

Boost was not 26 it was 23 for most of the pull then just touched 24. Heads and cam not touched.

Thats awesome! Congrats to owner and turner. Plus.the things changed are pretty much the new spring cleaning. Nice works boys

Nick, that is right in line with what I found. On my 12,000 mile gn we replaced the valve springs, put a ta49 on it with 50lbs msds and a tt5.7 chip, tuned it with the factory plug wires, autolite 23s and factory air box with no filter, stock maf, but did have a walboro 340. WE got 378hp and 471 tq at the wheels, both at 4800 rpm on 112 @ 25psi on Richard Clarks dyno about 4 years ago. It just takes time to tune but a lot of people forget the basic combos from years ago still work. I did have more turbo, less mileage but had stock airbox and atr 2.5 exhaust, no cut out....... The sd chip seems to make it even better, I may need to try it now.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Isn't it funny how the stock stuff still works?

Any suggestions for my stock stuff? I would like to wring it out a little more, not to steal the post?

" At the dyno, the owner wanted a baseline of his stock chip and computer, as well as the optimum HP in the best configuration.

With a stock computer and a chip from one of the most renowned TR sources, we were pleasantly surprised when it pulled 378 HP. "

You lost me here, so what chip pulled 378 HP on race gas? o_O