Supercharged 350

Danno

My 87 Regal has been in storage sinse the day I got it due to snow and work that needs to be done to it. I've been making a list of parts I would like to get for it and what I want to do performance wise. It is currently a NA 6cyl but I would like to put a V8 in it (planning on dropping a 350 in it).

I've thought of a turbo and the cost of putting one in, clearance, etc. Could have a rear turbo kit for it but I'm really considering a supercharger.

My question is, I'd like to have a top mounted supercharger on a carburated 350. But considering clearance issues and wanting it to look as stock as possible, this may not be possible (even with a smaller supercharger). I've thought about a dry sump system but that would only gain you about an inch due to the cross member location correct? Is there any way to make it work with a small cowl induction hood? What if I made a new crossmember to bring the engine down even more?

A front mounted supercharger isn't out of the question. I would just rather have one mounted on top.

Also if anyone has had any experiance with a turbocharged 350 feel free to convince me. Would I have enough room? What extra modifications would be needed?

Also I've heard that the stock tranny would bolt up to a 350 (which I found odd). Is this true? How much power would you trust the tranny and rear end with?

Thanks, hope to hear some feedback. :)

you might want to post this in the v8 section, those guys would be more help. This "top mounted supercharger" are you talking about a roots style supercharger/blower?
You will never pull that off and have the car looking "stock style". As with anything, if you plan on making some power, get ready to upgrade your fuel system, transmission, rear end, suspension (although stock suspension guys do just fine) and have a deep pocket ready. I would go with something like a procharger system.

get ready to upgrade your fuel system, transmission, rear end, suspension

And cooling system. IMO nothing looks cooler than a HUGE roots blower. I had a Weiand 142 on a 385 in my '87 Iroc, and used a 4" cowl hood, but a 2" would have been fine. A mechanic that works with my friend is building a 383 with a Weiand 142, but they have changed the design and it looks like a 4" cowl would be mandatory...
He hasn't put it in the car yet, the shop has an engine dyno, I think they said it made close to 500hp.

Yes, roots style is what I am talking about. So even with a custom made tubular cross member and a 2" cowl induction you don't think it would fit? As for the other upgrades, how much power are people making with their turbo'd regals and nationals with stock rearend and tranny? Just so I have an idea. I need new shocks for the car anyways so I will probably do the whole suspension while I'm at it. I'm really trying to find out my options before I start. Hopefully once all the snow is gone I will start on the project.

Sorry if it should be in v8s section, a moderator can move it if they would like.

There are TRs running in the 10's and faster with their stock 8.5" 10 bolt(well, Girdle suggested and aftermarket axles) trouble is the regular regal didn't come with the 8.5" 10 bolt.

Yes, roots style is what I am talking about. So even with a custom made tubular cross member and a 2" cowl induction you don't think it would fit? As for the other upgrades, how much power are people making with their turbo'd regals and nationals with stock rearend and tranny? Just so I have an idea. I need new shocks for the car anyways so I will probably do the whole suspension while I'm at it. I'm really trying to find out my options before I start. Hopefully once all the snow is gone I will start on the project.

Sorry if it should be in v8s section, a moderator can move it if they would like.

I did not notice you said something about the tubular cross
member. I'm sure you could pull something like that off. The 2004r trannies wont hold up much more than the stock engine, maybe 300 hp before gears start to flair. The rear end like roc mentioned is very stout, but should be upgraded once over the 4-500 hp mark, if not sooner? You could probably buy a stock gn engine, and build a hybrid that makes more power for about what you would spend on the v8. They just sound different:D

Alright, so I should definately look into changing the rear end (would be a piss off to try just to have the rear end go anyways). My buddy has a 350 with a fresh rebuild for sale but I might just get a 350 block off another buddy and just build the whole thing myself.

Thanks again. I'll try to look around this site and v8buicks for some 350 builds to try and find some problems I may run into along the way. :)