Supercharged 06 GTO died... and then I killed my turbo

meanchicken

gallo vicioso
:biggrin:Found this one on the way home today.
He was in front of me at a light, and at the green as we accelerated, I went around him gingerly so he could hear the turbo...at this point I did not know he was SC'd but his plates said "F16 GTO", so it was hinting at being a fighter jet. His rear tires were larger than stock also, but not DR's.

Next light he as behind me and smiling like he had something to chew on:biggrin:

On the green I rolled into it and then nailed it when it was obvious he was going to try and stay with me.

I slowly walked away from him and by the rate I was pulling him, I could tell he had something more than a stock GTO...but not enough...and I then let out as we approached a car we were going to have to go around.

On the other side of the car, I heard him get into it again and that's when I heard the supercharger. We started this time from about 50mph and initially I got up a few feet, and then we stayed even until we were in triple digit territory.....then his top end tookover and he started to sslowly walk away.

After, we cruised side by side talking to each other:
Him: (as he points to the front of the GN) That's only a v6....right?:eek:
Me: Yup....but it's gone mid 11's
Him: How much boost?
Me: About 21lbs right now.
Him: Wow....I'm at 9....but I have over 11:1 compression!
Me: I'm about 9:1
Him: You probably don't lose very often because I don't.
Me: It's rare:biggrin: but I think you got me from a roll and I got you from a dig.
He nodded and laughed.
Me: You been to the track?
Him: No....but I will some day....

Then we complimented each others rides and went our ways.

Later....I had a Mustang lined up in my sites. As I cruised past him I sneezed (I do that entirely too often) the turbo...and I think it ...my turbo...died.
A puff of smoke came out the tail pipes and then the turbo started to sound more like a super charger under normal acceleration and the GN started to feel underpowered under normal acceperation.
Thankfully...the Stang ignored me and turned.
I nursed it the rest of the way home and now have to figure out what I done did to my chicken coupe.:redface:

Good kill, chicken. Well, look at the bright side, you have an excuse to upgrade your turbo.

If that turbo is gone, it should be donated to the Smithsonian. It's witnessed more carnage on home soil, than the French Army.:eek::D

Hoping for the best.

Mike B.

Good kill, chicken. Well, look at the bright side, you have an excuse to upgrade your turbo.

:D

If that turbo is gone, it should be donated to the Smithsonian. It's witnessed more carnage on home soil, than the French Army.:eek::D

Hoping for the best.

Mike B.

True.
It went 11.17 and registered various kills on your GN and has gone 11.6's and registered countless kills on mine....it's lived a very productive life.

Need a moment of silence for the Chicken's turbo...

I might cry...:redface:

Yes, I had many kills and low eleven second passes on that John Craig built, TA-61 hairdryer before I sold it to Tim. It must be about 8 years old now.

All Turbo Buick flags should be at half mast tomorrow.:frown:

Mike B.

Yes, I had many kills and low eleven second passes on that John Craig built, TA-61 hairdryer before I sold it to Tim. It must be about 8 years old now.

All Turbo Buick flags should be at half mast tomorrow.:frown:

Mike B.

Maybe I'll just have this one rebuilt.....:biggrin:

just ask lou if he has any free turbos laying around the shop! if not he could have his son AL pick one up and bring it to the shop and install it for you free of charge:biggrin:

just ask lou if he has any free turbos laying around the shop! if not he could have his son AL pick one up and bring it to the shop and install it for you free of charge:biggrin:

I like "Free"
...especially if it means I also get to keep my hands clean...:biggrin:

That Fast Orange hand cleaner stuff can be so abrasive and chafing...:rolleyes:

;)

I think you should upgrade to a bigger turbo matched to your combo, and mount that one on your garage wall with a mural of all the kills you have with this turbo. I think it would be a cool addition to the garage :D.

I think you should upgrade to a bigger turbo matched to your combo, and mount that one on your garage wall with a mural of all the kills you have with this turbo. I think it would be a cool addition to the garage :D.

Hmmmm...I like that idea....:D

Yup.....the turbo is done.
Pulled the inlet bell off and could wiggle the shaft by about 1/16". The compressor blades were in tact but appear to just make contact with the housing....thus the Supercharger sound...

Please hurry and get that turbo replaced...there are a lot of ricers that need 'dealt with'.

Nice kill
This brings up a question. Is a BOV a wise mod for these cars? I tend to "sneeze" alot as I pass certain cars on the street. Compressor surge is bad, right? So why aren't more turbo buicks running bov's?

Nice kill
This brings up a question. Is a BOV a wise mod for these cars? I tend to "sneeze" alot as I pass certain cars on the street. Compressor surge is bad, right? So why aren't more turbo buicks running bov's?

Yup...turbo sneezing = bad....especially at WOT....but it sure sounds cool huh?:D
More on it and a good fix for it on post #40 on page 2 of this link:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tu...cision-turbos-new-turbo-listing-buicks-2.html

Lots of guys use BOV's, but I like to keep things stock appearing under the hood, and also a BOV is a big ol' hanging visual violation for a stiff lipped smog tech.