Super-16

stagetwo65

To all Super-16 racers:
I've made several changes to Super-16 for this year's GS Nationals which are all geared towards making it a little more exclusive as well as having the class payouts be where I think they should be, where we all expect they should be. For one thing, the $45 entry fee has been raised to $50, payable in cash to me at the event, prior to Qualifying. That money will be added to the payouts, which this year will be in stark contrast to years past. I have listened to racer's complaints about low payouts and I decided to do something about it. I went out and got my own sponsors for Super-16 and I've laid my good name out there to get them. All sponsor monies will be paid to me, in cash, and that is the same way I'll be paying them out. Every dime I collect goes back to the racers. There will be no free entry into the class for event sponsors, or class sponsors. While I'd like to do something like that for the class sponsors, especially the major sponsors who stepped up big time, the entry fee is all about raising the payouts. Finishline Motorsports and HRpartsNstuff have agreed to be Title sponsors and they've made a huge financial commitment to Super-16. Like a thousand bucks worth of huge, EACH!! In exchange for that commitment, I have agreed that all entrants must have an HR decal stuck to the top of their winshield, and a Finishline decal stuck to their back window. For $2000, I'd eat a handful of dirt, so I'd certainly put a couple of decals on my car. You want to take them off after the event is over, just put a little wax on the window before the decal goes on, it'll come right off. In addition to the two title sponsors, I've gotten Jack Cotton from Cotton's Performance Center as a Gold Level sponsor, which is $500. Jack agreed with me that Super-16 deserved more support and I appreciate him coming on board. I also have three Silver Level sponsors at $250 each, Rob Giroux with his company, Precision Billet Design, ESP Products, and the Northeast GS/GN Club, aka the Northeast Chapter GSCA. I want all of you to know that the decision to go after sponsors myself was not made lightly, and initially I wanted no part of it. I came to the realization that my beloved Super-16 would die a miserable death if I didn't do something about it. Geof Ketchum agreed and he and Bobb stepped up from Day One. The way I've got the payouts figured at this point (assuming 27 entrants, which shouldn't be a problem), the payouts will be as follows: $250 for Low Qualifier. $2,000 to win, $1,000 for Runner-Up, $200 each for semi-finals, $75 each for quarter-finals, and get this.....if you qualify for the field, and you lose 1st round, you get your $50 back! And don't forget 1st round Super-16 losers can drop into Bracket 1!! Not a bad deal. That's what I have so far, I hope to see you in BG.

Doug, We have our differences , BUT , Let me be the first to say MY HATS OFF TO YOU!!! Thank you , Thank you , Thank you ,for taking charge of this and trying to return Quick 16 its glory!! Put me in for $100.00 to the WINNER!

Anybody need a driver???? I want to be in this!!! Have license will travel!!!

Mike Booher:cool: ;) :)

Doug, We have our differences , BUT , Let me be the first to say MY HATS OFF TO YOU!!! Thank you , Thank you , Thank you ,for taking charge of this and trying to return Quick 16 its glory!! Put me in for $100.00 to the WINNER!

Anybody need a driver???? I want to be in this!!! Have license will travel!!!

Mike Booher:cool: ;) :)

I appreciate the comments, as well as the additional sponsorship. Good Luck getting a ride!

Just an update - When I got ESP Products added to the sponsor list today, that additional $250 means we only need 22 cars to hit the payouts as described. That should be easy, since we had over 25 cars in qualifying last year, spread over two S-16 fields. Seven turbo cars and eighteen or nineteen V8s. This year, being it's a single field, it oughta be a fast field!

I'm up to $100 each for Quarter-final payouts and I've got another sponsor coming on board tomorrow, quite possibly for significant money. I'll post when I get the call.

I have some mixed feelings on the new format of the q-16:

I LIKE the fact that you're running the show now Doug, it means no b.s. and things will get done.

I LIKE the fact that the payout will make it worth it, because anyone with a car capable of running in this class, knows it's not cheap.

I LIKE the option to drop into b-1 after a first round loss, kinda nice not to tow 16 hrs and go home after one elimination.

BUT

I DON'T LIKE that the turbo cars, with an obvious disadvantage (spooling) have to run against all the bb cars, which are just gas it and go. for some reason, i get the feeling it's gonna be 2 bb cars in the final...

Having said that, I do hope my mid to high 8's car will qualify, i've wanted to run this class for a while now. See ya there!!

Freddy

Freddy, as far as the single field goes...last year there were seven turbo cars in Super-16 Turbo. That's not "Super" and it's not "16" either. There wouldn't have been even that many, except for a ten second street car and an eleven second street car who both jumped into qualifying when they saw that the field was short.
As far as the "bracket race-ability" of turbo cars goes.....several years ago when Jim Dotson was still Turbo powered, he won S-16 Turbo and then he ran Mike Modena and his Scrap Iron Screamer in the King Of The Hill runoff. Mike won, but by less than a fender. Jim sure had his bracket racing skills honed. I know a few turbo racers who run their cars the same way that us V8 guys do. Transbrakes with two-steps and they spool up right away. If your car isn't set up for bracket racing, a turbo bracket racer can lay some smack down on ya just as easily as a V8 guy can.
I realize it's not possible for me to make everybody happy, but I think the guys all know I have no agenda, other than to run a good program. I only wish I hadn't had a rod come out of my motor at our Cecil County race. If my car was running, I'd have a chance to take home a chunk of this sponsor money too! :biggrin: My lights are inconsistent, but my car is dead nuts ON!

PS - My guess is 9.80s for a bump spot, based on nothing more than gut, of which I have plenty.

Doug, i completely understand, and i do realize that you have no agenda, a 16 car field that's tough to get into will be a hell of a lot more fun than a half-filled watered down field. I'm not complaining, just bellyaching, and making an excuse for when i get whooped in the 1st round. LOL :p

Hey Doug, Let the dragsters race!! That would weed out a few street cars!!
I know!!! Not on your watch!!! Mike:cool:

To answer the dragster question again...the answer is no and it's going to stay no. With that...... I actually came on here to post that I received an additional sponsor yesterday. Jack Merkel Racing Engines came on board for $250. That makes the sponsor-provided payouts $3500!! Even if the minimum of sixteen cars were to enter, that's still another $800 into the payout pool. So figure at least $4300 to spread around.
BTW, I never said dragsters couldn't run at the Nats.....I have no say in that. I just refuse to let them into Super-16. They can run exibition passes all day, every day, or run in Bracket 1 if they're allowed to. Super-16 is, and shall remain, a Buick-Bodied, Buick-Powered doorslammer class. The end.

If ya cant beat EM. OUTLAW EM!!!!! chicken feathers flying!!! Mike:cool:

Mike, i don't understand why your making a continuous fuss about the dragsters when you have no intention on racing as your car is apart like you said in another post.
What sence does it make to have a lightweight dragster racing headsup against a doorslammer anyways?
It has already been said that dragsters are welcome to exhibition/bracket race so what's the problem?

In NHRA and IHRA i see top fuel against top fuel/ pro stock vrs prostock/ funny car vrs funny car,.......i don't see top fuel headsup against prostock etc etc.....get my point?

Or maybe i have seen the wrong NHRA/IHRA events?:rolleyes:

Im ready! Get IN Where You Fit IN!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 224

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 221
Mike, i don't understand why your making a continuous fuss about the dragsters when you have no intention on racing as your car is apart like you said in another post.
What sence does it make to have a lightweight dragster racing headsup against a doorslammer anyways?
It has already been said that dragsters are welcome to exhibition/bracket race so what's the problem?

In NHRA and IHRA i see top fuel against top fuel/ pro stock vrs prostock/ funny car vrs funny car,.......i don't see top fuel headsup against prostock etc etc.....get my point?

Or maybe i have seen the wrong NHRA/IHRA events?:rolleyes:

Mike, Q-16 isn't heads up just in case you missed it in the rules. :biggrin: :biggrin: