Sunvisor difference/Hardtop vs T-Tops

Bruce Urie

The Ventures,CCR forever!
Hoping someone here can clarify something for me. Is there a difference between a pair of sunvisor mounts for a hardtop Grand National and a T-Top Grand National? Seems like the mounting swivel plates on them are different from one another. I think there is...bought a set of nice grey sunviors for my T-Top Grand National and they won't fit worth a damn. So now I have a mint pair of useless sunvisors with the mirror/light on the passenger side that I'm assuming goes on the hardtop Regal. Had the passenger side restored by Jaxx....beautiful job, but can't use do to wrong mount. Was really pissed. So, can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the two? Am I right by the T-Top sunvisor mounts are flat and the hardtop sunvisor mounts are not? Thanks.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Sometimes the mounts get clocked wrong.. the far end of the visor will be too far away from the headliner (just looks wrong)..you might want to check that.. just take the screws out and turn the base and screw it back in and see if it looks right (sometimes have to do that twice because it has three ways to go on) . careful DO NOT tear the headliner...

Bruce,the mounting brackets are different between a hard top car and a T-top car. The visors are the same. You can switch the mounts from one to the other.

Hoping someone here can clarify something for me. Is there a difference between a pair of sunvisor mounts for a hardtop Grand National and a T-Top Grand National? Seems like the mounting swivel plates on them are different from one another. I think there is...bought a set of nice grey sunviors for my T-Top Grand National and they won't fit worth a damn. So now I have a mint pair of useless sunvisors with the mirror/light on the passenger side that I'm assuming goes on the hardtop Regal. Had the passenger side restored by Jaxx....beautiful job, but can't use do to wrong mount. Was really pissed. So, can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the two? Am I right by the T-Top sunvisor mounts are flat and the hardtop sunvisor mounts are not? Thanks.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Is the color a good factory match?
How much to have it done?
Do you have the website?

Thanks.

Is the color a good factory match?
How much to have it done?
Do you have the website?

Thanks.

The color is closest I've seen to a good factory match. Maybe just a very, very small shade lighter. But extremely close. Not noticeable at all once mounted. Well worth it. It cost $35.00 plus $12.00 return shipping, and about $10.00 to ship it to the factory via USPS. It takes about two-three weeks. The website is www.jaxxseatcover.comThier work is excellent.

And Mike, thank you for the information. I'll try switching. Will let you know if I'm sucessful. Now I know there is a difference. Not knowing first hand was very expensive for me. And thanks to all that replied. I knew I could count on you.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Well, I went out into my garage and tried to exchange the T-Top sunvisor mounts with the hardtop sunvisor mount...the difference between them are the T-Top mounts have a flat flange, for a lower profile mounting, the hardtop mounts have a rounded,raised flange. But the problem is: the passenger sunvisor has the lighted mirror assembly in it...thus the wire from it runs from the visor THROUGH a hollowed out chrome arm in the mount...so I can't switch them. The arms are short but the one in the lighted assembly is about 5 inches long. After doing some research, I found out that the two sunvisor mounts ARE different...the hardtop GBody mounts are raised and rounded and can't be put into a T-Top GBody. The T-Top GBody mounts are FLAT. Plus, if you have the lighted mirror in the sunvisors, be advised that you must run the power wire THROUGH the hollow mount rod so you can use the connector under the roof molding. So, I am now looking for the hollowed out T-Top sunvisor mount, and only one. Anyone know where I can find one? Then I can put my redone lighted mirror sunvisor on my car. NOS4GN has both types of sunvisor mounts (hardtop, T-Top) for $39.95 a pair, but the hollowed out mounting rod is not available. Anyone have a flat flange hollowed out sunvisor mount you want to sell me? And thank you for all the suggestions.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce,

I know this an oldie, but did you ever get this to work? I was thinking of doing the same and right now would be perfect as I gutted the entire interior.

Dannyo

Bruce,

I know this an oldie, but did you ever get this to work? I was thinking of doing the same and right now would be perfect as I gutted the entire interior.

Dannyo

Dannyo, no problem about being an oldie, as I'm one, too:rolleyes: What did work for me was this: I took the passenger side sunvisor with the FLAT T-Top mounting bracket and put it on the driver's side...the only difference you'll see is the screw which tightens the visor swivel to the bracket.....no one ever notices that, saves me some bucks.....Just keep in mind that the T-Top sunvisor mounts are FLAT, and the hard top sunvisor mounts are rounded. If you held them side to side you can see the difference like night and day.

Then I bought the passenger side T-Top flat mounting bracket (passenger side for lighted mirror) from our old friend Bob (Innercooled88) he had it available and cheerfully sold it to me, and put the refurbished sunvisor from Jaxx on it, running the power wire through the stud (it has a hole just for this)

It worked great, just great. So, if you don't mind reversing the use of the passenger side plain sunvisor for the driver's side, it'll work for you, the screw being visible on the driver's side is so small you'll never notice it....I was being cheap and saving money, and glad I did.....

I did get the correct oil change sticker for the driver's side visor from Glenn at HighwayStars...it's an EXACT copy and worth every dime.....give him a try, you won't regret it, he's a really good guy, Glenn is.

Hope this explains and helps you...if not, ask me again, I'll try my best to help.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I have t-tops so I have the correct sunvisor mount for the Driver side, now I need to find a hollow one for the passenger side.

I can post in the wanted ads and see if I have any luck finding one! :confused:

Thanks,

Dannyo

Dannyo...get hold of Bob (Innercooled88s)...you can find him on the "Parts for sale" section on this forum.....send him an e-mail asking him if he has this part and he'll get back to you....(I got my hollow mount from Bob)

You can also try James (ttaowner) He can found on the "Parts for sale" section also.....

Just look down the column and you'll see their screen names....both have a whole mess of parts for our cars....they practically own every part GM made for these cars.....wait.....that title goes to Grumpy..:D

Tell Bob or James Brucie sent you....both honest guys who care...

Bruce '87 Grand National