Sunday liquor sales

gn1220

I've always wondered why some cities don't allow liquor sales on Sunday. I was always told "Because it's a holy day." Well, yes, for some it is. But doesn't this violate the seperation of church and state? Just looking for the real reason:)

All of Ohio is this way. Unless its a private club or organization that is not just open to the general public.
I don't understand it either.

Can't get a damn Jack and coke on Sunday. WTF?

i dunno, but i was at the bar earlier and i had no problem getting liquor:D

They are called "blue laws". These were old statutes that existed from way back when folks had strong morals about church and caused all businesses to close on Sunday. It can be imposed on a state, county or local level. Most areas have relaxed them but there are still plenty of strongholds. Without getting personal about them, it's really not that bad to live with. Have an iced tea or a Coke and enjoy some time with your family.

well no "blue " laws for us military guys, our local Shoppette sells all alchohol all day, all night, it wa the number 1 seller of budweiser beer in the world for 2 years, and even hurricanes havn't stopped the joes from getting all F-ed up on there day off, that is if joe is 21. :)
Grant

Along the same lines..... Are there any "dry" areas other than here in the south?

I'd never even HEARD of a "dry county" until I stopped in a convenience store in KY and started looking for the beer cooler. I finally asked the clerk where the heck the beer was and she looked at me like I was from another planet... She said "we dont sell beer here... this is a dry county..." I proceeded to look at her like SHE was from another planet as I'd never heard of such a thing before. Those poor people!!!!! :eek: :eek:

No booze here in CT on Sundays or after 8PM the rest of the week but you can get whatever you want to drink in a bar. Go figure! Always get a kick out of the announcements in the store where we get groceries that start around 7:30 saying any beer purchased must be out of the store by 8PM.

The town I live in in MA is DRY. You can BYOB to restaurants though. I am moving in a month though. Can't buy on Sundays in Mass.

Mark F.
87 GN 11.9 @ 115

I think in Indiana you have to be in a restaurant where they serve food in order to get a drink. No bars or liquor stores open on Sunday there. I don't know about buying it in a grocery store, though.

We need Sunday liquor sales here in KC......for some reason, I always run out of beer on Saturday night!!! Doh!

I used to live in a rural county here in Kentucky. There was a shopping center which actually crossed the county line. On one side was a Kroger and attached but on the other side of the line was a liquor store. On Sunday you could not get a beer at Kroger but you could go next door and buy anything you wanted.
This was the fanatically religious populations way of controlling the consumption of alcohol and keeping the tax money out of the county at the same time. :D Doh!!!!!!

Thanks for the input. I don't drink that much anyway and we have plenty of places around here to buy alcohol on Sunday but I've always wondered why some places wouldn't/couldn't sell. Silly not to sell if you ask me:)

Dry counties

Several counties in Mississippi are "dry". Of course, the crystalmeth is all over the place in these same counties! Oh, well.
At least the kids aren't drinking alcohol! WTF!!!
Dumbasses