Summer in Little Rock : A/C Help

colourfuze

Good day Buick team.. I have an 87 GN pretty much stock and I went to get my ac charged a few months ago and it did pretty good until the heat started. I went again yesterday to get it checked for leaks and when he put the gauge on the car he said that it wasnt leaking and the levels were the same.

I need some advice on what I should do?? Im hot

Make sure the blend doors are operating properly. If one is not closing and bringing in outside hot air it will never get as cold as it should.
What is the temp at the vents?

I'm in LR too...I can't even drive my GN..no AC...can't wait till October!! LOL

If your compressor was weak the mechanic who charged it would not have been able to get the required pressure readings.

How much of a difference would tint make? What percent should I go with?

I have 20% on 1/4 glass and rear window. 35% on side windows. I believe 35% is legal now in Illinois. Not sure how much of a difference it makes. If you need a new compressor, check for sales like at Advance. I paid $188 for a new one. Don't get a reman, as the ones I've had only last 2 years (with a one year warranty). Harbor Frieght has the guages and even has a vacuum machine, although I've never used one. CharlieF1 can advise you.

I have 20% on 1/4 glass and rear window. 35% on side windows. I believe 35% is legal now in Illinois. Not sure how much of a difference it makes. If you need a new compressor, check for sales like at Advance. I paid $188 for a new one. Don't get a reman, as the ones I've had only last 2 years (with a one year warranty). Harbor Frieght has the guages and even has a vacuum machine, although I've never used one. CharlieF1 can advise you.

Thanks for the plug Rick.:smile: Tint will make a big difference, believe me. I did it years ago to one of my trucks and it dropped it around 15 degrees.

As far as getting the AC working, is it R-12 or R-134? I'd suggest that you do like Rick said and go to harbor freight and get a gauge set so you can post what kind of pressures the system is seeing so I know how to help you.:smile:

Hey Charlie! I had an A/C issue that I fixed myself:) The A/C was cutting in and out. I jumped the prongs on the low pressure switch connector and the clutch engaged. Replaced the low pressure switch on the drier and all is good now. Sorry to hijack but had to do it!

Hey Charlie! I had an A/C issue that I fixed myself:) The A/C was cutting in and out. I jumped the prongs on the low pressure switch connector and the clutch engaged. Replaced the low pressure switch on the drier and all is good now. Sorry to hijack but had to do it!

Glad to here it Rick. If you need any more help just PM me or call.:)