suburban

jsta6

John 15:17
Anyone own a Suburban?

The minivan just got outdated with the birth of the twins.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Anyone know about the 6.5L turbo diesel GMC suburbans?

TIA!

I have one. IMHO the new ones are extremely overpriced. Of course, I feel that way about most new vehicles. I bought a 1994 with 110,000 on the clock. It needed tires, brakes, and the A/C fixed. No rust anywhere, runs and drives like new. I paid $10,200 out the door, taxes, title, and all.

My only complaint is I can feel that its down on power and down on fuel economy compared to my 1997 Tahoe which had the Vortec motor. I would recommend getting at least a 1995 model if I was to do it again.

Of course, it still gets up and goes on teh highway with 8 people and a 3500 lb boat being towed behind, so its not a big deal.

If you feel you can justify $45,000 for a vehicle, then by all means, go for the new ones - they are sweet.

Originally posted by jsta6
Anyone own a Suburban?

'01 Z71

I'd have loved to have gotten a turbo diesel but it wasn't available in '01. I've got the 5.3L. Not bad, but more power would be nice. But then again, I don't tow anything. So it's adequate.

Oops - I am sorry. I don't have a diesel if it seemed like it from my post. I have the gas 5.7 (350) Throttle body motor. Had a whopping redline of 4500 rpm. I had a 1997 Tahoe with the 265hp 350 Vortec gas motor. Ran 16.6@85 :) I will just keep throwing engines at this one as it needs them. So far no trouble and I am up to 125K on it.

Next motor will be a mild cammed 383 - I figure that will be perfect for towing.... ;)

Not too sure on the diesels - don't think the wife would like the smell. The suburban is hers and she LOVES it. Like Marge with the Canyonero!

Love the Suburban!

I have a 1999 Suburban that I bought last year. The wife's 1998 S-10 Blazer LS 4-dr just wasn't big enough to take a trip with two kids and all their stuff. I wanted a 2000 or newer for the body style (I NEVER buy new, let some other sucker take that screwing!) but their was a $6000 to $10000 difference between '99's and 00's with the same equipment. I gave $14500 for the 'burb with 86k miles on it. It's got over 100k now and still looks and rides like new. Should've bought it instead of the Blazer to start with. Mine's 1/2 ton 2WD with the 5.7 and gets 15-16mpg. The Blazer only got 18-19 on it's best day so the gas issue is outweighed by the usefulness of the vehicle IMO.

Get the turbo diesel!! We will have that thing running faster than the GN in no time!!! :D

Trucks

my pops has a 99 Chevy burban. He bought it fully loaded in 98' for $34K. He loves it. We hooked it up for him. I bought a 00' fully loaded Tahoe for the same price in 00'. The dealers around here didn't even want to deal with us. So we ended up ordering them from out of state. Well worth the savings...I will probably be ordering another one shortly....just not sure what I want yet.

Anyone own a Suburban?

A friend of mine does, 3/4t.
Seats 8 comfortably, and tows a car trailer to boot.
BTW, he won't sell it, has 200K miles and still knocks as the day as it was new LOL

6.5L is a pretty darn good motor as long as you do the maintenance.
As a trivia question...........did you know that the 6.2 and 6.5 GM diesels were based off of the Buick V8? Take a look at one the next time you see it. Look at the front cover ;)

Anyone own a Suburban?

TIA!

I have one, (3/4 ton)and really like it, except for the injector pump. Watch out - be sure that the rig you buy has under 120K and not been in use for 11 years. GM will repalce the injector pump under warranty for any owner as long as you fall within these ranges.

In fact my injector pump is leaking now:( Something else to repair!! These units make great tow vehicles.

Good Luck

speaking of factory warranties...

GM vehicles are covered for new catalytic converters for 5/50. Mopars even more. Something a very honest Midas dealer passed on to me instead of charging me for a new cat. Apparently it is federally mandated to be longer than the regular vehicle warranty (what I was told anyway). Just FYI!

burban

I have a 2003 3/4 ton 8.1 [496 cu in] 4.10 locking rear. autoride suspension, 4WD, bose 12 speaker audio,heated seats,onstar, DVD rear seat entertainment.This baby has a tow cap of 12,000 lbs,and it goes as fast as i care to go in a 6000 lb truck ,from a stomp it lights the tires up like a power braked turbo regal :)
GAS :eek: My Grady White 24 ft boat got 2 mpg so who cares,I like this truck:D
For 2003 there are no diesel options.

The prices of mid to late 90's sub's have fallen thru the ground.

You should be able to pick up a very nice avg mile unit for a very good price..

Although, i love the diesel (and have a 93 6.5 2500 4x4 silverado turbodiesel) a diesel may not be what you want for a "family ride".. If the wife and kids will be seeing most of the time with it, probably outta just stay with the tried and true 350..

The 350 will last forever when properly maintained..

You need to ask this question though, is a suburban what you really want with gas prices the way they are??

We have a Yukon and they will eat you alive each time you fill up..

HTH..

I have an older Suburban a 91 and it is my daily driver, except when the weather is nice and i drive the GN. I have a 383 cu. in. Stroker motor in it built for low end torque and I get 11 mpg. :mad:
35 inch tires don't help gas mileage much, but will take you anywhere, I guess the 40 gal. tank comes in handy.:D
Tarey D.

Wouldn't trade it for nuthin!!! :D

Is there an easy way to tell if a suburban from the 90s is 3/4 ton vs 1/2 ton? same question on a Tahoe.....thanks :)

Originally posted by Epitome
Is there an easy way to tell if a suburban from the 90s is 3/4 ton vs 1/2 ton? same question on a Tahoe.....thanks :)

The 6th position of the VIN will be a 1 if a 1/2 ton and a 2 if a 3/4 ton. I've owned both.

MJ

uh,and the 3/4 ton will have 8 lugs vs. the 1/2 ton's 6...

a friend of mine just bought a '93 suburban,3/4 ton 454 4wd.it's got ~150k on it and i think he paid $8500.it's immaculate tho,whoever owned it used it for towing horse trailers on the freeway(it's got a nice factory tow package).i was a little skeptical when i saw the mileage,but the thing runs like a friggin top and it's got pretty good torque too:).

Right. Look for the 8 lugs, and the NON 8.5 rear. The "1500" rear looks just like a TRs (with leaf springs tho!)

IMHO, again, if its for the fam, you may want to stick with the 1500 1.2 ton. They ride MUCH smoother then the 2500 does, and are closer to the ground for easy access to belting the kids in the back seat.

JMO!