Stupid no start,,,,,,,,,,,,,again!

robertf

So several months back the car ran beautifully to the carwash then would'nt start. After 20 minutes or so it started back up like nothing was wrong. I installed a new fuel pump relay and hotwire relay just in case. Also a new OEM crank sensor. I could still hear the fuel pump cycle when the key was turned on. Today it did it again at the Harley shop. After several attempts to start it I decide to set for 20 or so minutes and it eventually restarts. Any clues? It's quite embarrasing especially after everyone walks up to look at the car. It have a TR6 setup. Not sure if anyones had issues in the past. Cam sensor cap? I am up for any ideas right now. Thank in advance.

Have the Ignition module or coils been replaced

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

It is the TR6 ignition. I have considered switching back to my stock ignition but its such a random issue I wont really know if I've done any good. Hopefully some TR6 owners can chime in if they've had issues.

It is the TR6 ignition. I have considered switching back to my stock ignition but its such a random issue I wont really know if I've done any good. Hopefully some TR6 owners can chime in if they've had issues.
When my cam sensor went out, that is how it happened. Code wasnt always present.

I had an issue just like this. I adjusted the cam sensor a bit using the tr-6 and tach method. It went away.
TR-6 more sensitive with the cam sensor setting then stock.

Is there a trouble code set by the TR6? If yes, start there. Otherwise, verify the TR6 has a good ground to the block and, yes, set the cam sensor via greeneyegi's advice.

I've got a cam sensor cap coming from Highway Stars just to be safe. Wow they are pricey.:eek: Chasing gremlins sucks.

Last edited:
I have had same issues with the tr6 and my cam sensor. I would also check your fuseable links . They are attached to your starter and run right by your hot ass headers . They have been there for along and I have seen so many issues that where fixed by replacing them .

I have had same issues with the tr6 and my cam sensor. I would also check your fuseable links . They are attached to your starter and run right by your hot ass headers . They have been there for along and I have seen so many issues that where fixed by replacing them .
Thanks Dank. I'll crawl under it tomorrow.

the TR6 expects the cam sensor to be set to factory spec, and this lets it diagnose it being wrong. It does make it more sensitive to the actual setting though.

That said, if you pressure washed the engine, make sure you didn't breach the seals in the TR6.

Let me know what you find.

I have been thinking of allowing a much broader cam sensor tolerance in the TR6, what do you guys think?

Bob

the TR6 expects the cam sensor to be set to factory spec, and this lets it diagnose it being wrong. It does make it more sensitive to the actual setting though.

That said, if you pressure washed the engine, make sure you didn't breach the seals in the TR6.

Let me know what you find.

I have been thinking of allowing a much broader cam sensor tolerance in the TR6, what do you guys think?

Bob
personally i find it to be ok as it is. but i don't have any trouble setting it right

Bob I never washed the engine. It just left me at the carwash a few months back. Today I pulled up to the Harley shop for maybe 15 minutes and then no restart. Seems to be heat related if i had to guess. Each of the 2 times it sat 20ish minutes then restarted. I only drive the car once a week so I have'nt put many miles on it since the first incident. Maybe 2/3 hundred. The cam sensor cap is original but with only 79,000 miles. Still its 30 years old. I do agree with Richard. I had no problems setting it in the beginning.

Sounds like it may be heat related. After stopping and getting heat soak back something electronic could be failing.
A little different but years ago I had a friend who's car would die after driving for 40 minutes or so and then start up again after he sat 20 minutes. The dealer (Nissan) couldn't find the problem. I followed him with a bucket of ice water until the car died. Poured water on his distributor, electronic module and the car started right up. Replaced the module and never had a problem again.

just for kicks check the orange ecm wire at the battery for a good connection while the car is running jiggle it.

the TR6 expects the cam sensor to be set to factory spec,

Bob
Bob,
I would like to learn more about this and the impact, and will start another thread in the general section.

not sure what you mean. the current TR6 software decodes the cam sensor based on stock specs, i.e. the cam sensor pulse straddles the falling edge of the #1 crank sensor pulse.

so, how far out of spec do we want to be able to decode as 'valid' vs considering it invalid and detecting a problem. Would we want to still allow the engine to start, but blink a trouble code?

B