Stuff a 87 Turbo Regal drive train into a 78 Turbo Sport Coupe

8687TR

I'm sure this has been done numerous times. And I'm sure some are tasteless atrocities. While some might be quite respectable.

Do you think you could acquire an extremely clean 78/79 Turbo Regal (3-4K) and a solid 87 drive train and put it all together and have a respectable all-buick monster for under 7K?

I would want it to look like a clean stock 78/79 regal (rally wheels/raised white letter tires etc.)
It wouldn't be for racing. Just for cruising around. Maybe light the tires up once in a while.

It will be a long time before I'm in the market for a clean 86-87 Turbo Regal (12-17K).

I'd much rather have an 86-87 but I do like the single headlight 78-79.

Thanks for your input!

One of our members is selling his turbo lesabres right now. They're posted in B4black as FYI. Brad Ziegler has also done this conversion and I believe he's selling his as well.

I thought about it back when I still owned a 78 Regal Sport Coupe. I even bought most of the drivetrain, but someone made me an offer on my 78 that I couldn't refuse.

I sold a pair of mufflers to a guy that was fixing up a 80 ish Grand Am,the body style is similar(I like the body style myself,its like a Malibu but more swoopy with aero bumpers) and he said he was putting in a 5.4 or something-said it was going to be killer. Kinda OT but...

Hopefully I'll see this car out at shows this summer.