studs - where to get them?

Don Smith

I removed on my turbo due to a major oil leak and all the bolts came out without issue. Got lucky for once. I been reading everything I can on the site and read suggestions to install studs on the oil return rather then try to bolt the flange backup. I also need 3 studs for the header connection as I don't think the rebuilt turbo from Bison is going to have them installed. Where did you guys get the studs? Just any auto parts store? Once I finish replacing all the hoses and install the turbo I will go back to trying to find my mystery clapping noise.

Any vendor that deals with ARP will have the studs.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks, advanced auto has the oil return studs and now I have the size of the header studs to search, M10X1.50

For header studs you can use 3/8" set screws so you can install and remove them with an allen wrench.

Use flanged nuts with them so they will not loosen.

I got the size of the old ones from advanced auto and just ordered a SS set from eBay. Thanks for the help. Now just have to shop my leaky turbo to Bison tomorrow.

I just got some exhaust studs from the parts store. It doesn't have to be real good ones not that much pressure

Get quality fasteners for that area. They get hotter 'n hell. Don't forget the nickle based anti-seeze too.

Overkill maybe
But some of the best
For turbo applications - Inconel is superior to all other type of metal; ARP, Stainless, god forbid Grade 8 standard, or other.
As a general proposition - you really want a stud with a shoulder. For pre-tensioning.
The Mazda boys use these for very demanding requirements. Zoom Zoom.

Attachments

• STAGE 8 INCONEL STUD KIT.jpg
    STAGE 8 INCONEL STUD KIT.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 80
  • INCONEL - 1.jpg
    INCONEL - 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 90
  • TURBO FASTENERS - 1.jpg
    TURBO FASTENERS - 1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 81
  • TURBO FASTENERS - 2.jpg
    TURBO FASTENERS - 2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 80
Overkill maybe
But some of the best
For turbo applications - Inconel is superior to all other type of metal; ARP, Stainless, god forbid Grade 8 standard, or other.
As a general proposition - you really want a stud with a shoulder. For pre-tensioning.
The Mazda boys use these for very demanding requirements. Zoom Zoom.

Chris is there NOTHING you don't know about Turbobuicks.

Thanks again for all the great information! Wow, I went to order the inconel 10m studs and they cost 49.00 and 28 for shipping 4 studs. That just isn't right.

Last edited:
Chris is there NOTHING you don't know about Turbobuicks.

LOL - oh hell ya.
I'm a moron when it comes to transmissions and rear ends.
And I ain't the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to all the internal engine speak.
Crank this and rod that.
But I'm hell with a bottle of spray n wax though! :D
And oh - rear drum brakes - hate em!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for all the great information! Wow, I went to order the inconel 10m studs and they cost 49.00 and 28 for shipping 4 studs. That just isn't right.

No sheet it ain't
But I'm tellin ya - you will not stretch, break, or otherwise distort Inconel.
I actually have Inconel Allen Head caps screws for my DP.
You can always tell - they have sort of a wierd bronzey like / copperish color to them.
And they always come right out - like butter.
Of course, as Earl says, I lube it up with hi temp anti seize everytime so that helps.
Earl knows lube.
And anti seize! :D

It's the $28 shipping that is FUBAR.
Find some other place that puts them in a $2 box via USPS
Alot of these joints make up for whatever they think are low prices by pumping their shipping costs.
And 49 bucks for 4 (or 3?) studs ain't exactly low anyway.
Google some more.