Stuck thermostat the other day...

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
So, coming back from a nice day of surfing and was casually scrolling through the Scanmaster and noticed my water temp was at 249* and climbing. I was really close to home so I just slowly eased it the rest of the way with temps getting to damn near 260* by the time I rolled it into the garage to find steam/water gushing out of the reservoir. All of the components on the car were hella hot (both rad hoses, the intake manifold, and all areas of the radiator. I started suspecting a stuck thermostat, so the next day I pulled the thermostat and threw it in a pot of water. The water came to almost a rolling boil and the thing hadn't budged. In the video, you can see it pop open instantly right at about the 00:14 mark (open in full screen view and increase the video quality in order to see it). Told the wife to cut the camera at the end because I didn't notice it pop open at first until I watched the video afterwards. I was already satisfied that I had found my problem since the thing usually starts cracking at around 163* using a meat thermometer in the water...and the water was at >212*. My system was pretty damned clean when I flushed it (which I do about once a year anyways). I run straight water and RMI-25 here in Hawaii. No clue as to why this happened.

Moral of the story is to check your temps once in a while. I don't have an idiot light anymore so I ordered up a temp gauge to keep a closer eye on things.