Stuck T stat?? Overheats then cools

l3lue

Car still has stock radiator (I know it needs to replaced and will be replacing it shortly) Radiator is leaking so will be replacing that, but took out for a drive today and noticed temps were normally around 185-189, then as i was driving looked down and it was 245! then I watched it quickly drop back down to 185, then after a few minutes it quickly climbed back to 245 then dropped back down again...Not driving it for extended period of times until I get this figured out, I am told the car has a 160* tstat in it, do I need to replace this? Thinking about replacing

Radiator
Tstat and both radiator hoses. -- any suggestions?

I wouldn't be driving it at all until you replace those items.
Yes to all the above. Plus give it a good flush to get rid of all the crud built up over the years.
After filing with fresh glycol / water solution, add a bottle of RMI-25. You should be good to go then!

I wouldn't be driving it at all until you replace those items.
Yes to all the above. Plus give it a good flush to get rid of all the crud built up over the years.
After filing with fresh glycol / water solution, add a bottle of RMI-25. You should be good to go then!

What product do you use for a good diy radiator flush on your car? Ive read to use prestone, degreaser,baking soda or vinegar.

I normally just use plain water. Add a tee fitting with hose thread and cap (prestone) , install it in heater hose line temporarily and turn on the hose. With rad cap off, run the hose until clear water is running thru the system.

Cool. While were on the subject of coolant. What is a coolant bypass mod? I read it somewhere but they didnt go into any details

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Cool. While were on the subject of coolant. What is a coolant bypass mod? I read it somewhere but they didnt go into any details

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

More than likely it's either capping off the coolant hoses that go to the bottom of the throttle body or connecting a hose from one to the other, bypassing the throttle body.
The theory is by not running hot coolant through the throttle body the intake air temp stays cooler.