Stuck need help on some decesions

SGRIM

Owner/Admin TB.com
Staff member
This is a long post but please help. I am a little new to this site but have read for hours everyday for the past two months. You guys always seem to nice and extermely helpful. I think I have read to much because I am a little confused on where to go from this point. I am working on my 87 T, just bought couple of months ago. I have a 87 Gn 47K perfect bone stock not even driven in 11 years. I love these cars but did not want to loose the value of pure stock GN, but wanted to go racing in a turbo regal so I bought the T Type. The odo says 81K car looks like they have been hard if true. I have a couple of guys working for me that are good mechanics but know Nothing about a turbo. I know nothing about cams, heads, pistons, etc... but have read about these cars since 1990 when I got my GN. I know my way around enough to direct them a little on the turbo stuff and they can work on the other stuff fine. But we generally do just minor repairs and engine and tranny swapping but no Internal work. The only mods I can see to the car when I bought was a bigger radiator, MAF system with 14' K&N filter, Vaccum brake system, and new hose set, other than that looks stock. I got a little crazy at first and bought alot of stuff. The problem is now we just tore the car down today; intercooler, turbo, TB and plenum, valve covers, alt etc... I was planning to install the following stuff I bought, but need to know where to go from here.
1. 160 therm.
2. Heated O2
3. New EGR Valve
4. Fuel filter, reds pumps and hotwire system. adj fuel reg.
5. All neccesary gauges with new sensors.
6. Drive shaft loop
7. pinions snubber and both air bags.
8. 8 position ultra chip and SCANMASTER
9. 009 42# inj
10. TH d pipe with dump.
11. Double Roll Timing chain
12. Heavy Duty valve springs
13 Art Carr tranny cooler and deep pan filter kit
14. Assorted turbo lines and such but thats about it.
15 Oh and RJC power plate and wastegate actuator and soleniod
Over 3K already
I read so many "recepies" thought this stuff might put in high 11's but now I am not so sure. Did not want to up turbo size yet, to try to save that 800.00 becuase I figured the engine was going to be weak, due to mileage did not want to over do it and blow. Today when pulled off valve covers we were shocked that the valves so clean. The motor was covered in oil, everything covered a hose or turbo most have leaked at some point. The previous owner had done some "rigging" but I think we have corrected all that. The plenum had carbon blocking that first little square almost completely with only a pin hole there. The fins on the first wheel in the turbo looked ragged. The tranny in the car shifts great so I feel correct mileage, so to the questions.
1. My EGR valve had a little oil in it when we took it out is that normal.
2. My first time taking a buick down so I think Turbo is stock says AR 60 M-10. I know I said I read all about these cars but do not know the markings for the stock turbo. Think the chip was stock
3. Figured if fins on that first wheel was ragged the others were too. So I guess I need to upgrade turbo. Which dog gone one I have read so many posts and recepies saying this turbo or that turbo is best. Right now I am very interesed in the PT 61 but I will admit very influenced by this board. I do not know enough about these things to make a wise decision. I want an low 11 or high 10 car. Looks like if go that way I need new injectors and chip according to recent posts.
4. Like I said already over 3K invested and now I feel I need HnR sway bar and uppers and lowers boxed to get the time I want, thats a grand right there. Also looks like need Alky kit, but Which One. I have read good and bad posts about each. I like the looks of the SMC but I dont wont to waste the money on an inferior product.
5. Since car already tore down should I have head work done, local guys will do reasonalby but they have never done them for these cars.
6. Should I put new cam in, and that incredilby expensive cam sensor. There again which one so many different this one or that one better.
7. Since raising motor anyway should put in new mounts.
8. Should I have tranny reworked or just install a valve body kit, shift kit, and servo. What Stall do I need.
9. And whatever else I need to do while tore down, please give any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated.
10. Have all parts to do the entire SPRING CLEANING from gntype.org.
So therein lies my problem. I want a street car that will hook and spank all these dang Mustangs around here spraying 250 shots and spinning everywhere. But, where does the money end and how in the heck do you know which turbo, alky kit, suspension stuff, etc... Most of you guys are pro's please help me I would love some good solid advice. I want to do whatever NEEDS to be done to get those times as economically as possible. I do not drive the car much just playing around alot so not many miles will be put on. I dont want to bolt so much and blow the motor a week after spending all this money. Please be honest and help me not blow anymore money. Thanks again.

If the heads are off the car, definitely do the head porting and polishing, have someone experienced at doing TRs anyone else your throwing money away. Look around this board and find out who's recommended and send them to them.
The PT61 will get you there, may need bigger injectors though than the 009's unless running alky. Will need a 3200 stall convertor though. If the tranny ain't broke, then just freshen it up with the convertor and some new clutches..

A few parts in your list that you don't need:
Timing chain - stock steel will do, double rollers seem to stretch alot and can't use the tensioner.
HD valve springs...Comp 980s will do fine, don't want more than 100# of seat pressure at install height unless you have a high lift cam, but the stock cam will get you to high 10s.
Pinion snubber, toss that, causes the rear to give when unloaded and you'll spin the tires, instead box the uppers/lowers and get poly bushings.
Yes, do the motor mounts with HR Parts-N-Stuff poly mounts, are rock solid and no need for a engine tie strap.

Don't see an upgraded IC on your list, either a FMIC or good stretch stock mount, like a precision or Cottons are both good.
The ported heads help tremendously on getting you to the 10s.
I prefer the Razor alky kit as it just seems further along tech wise than the other.
And learn to tune tune tune....

i would suggest a te-63 (wont have to run as much boost ). also i would say 50s but you have to send out the ecu and sell your 009s or put them on the GN. i would delete the egr altogether. cam well dont over cam and roller isnt nessicary. dont go bigger than a 218- 218. a 204-214 or 210-205 would work well. those springs you have should work fine. intercooler is a must i prefer front mounts v2, cottons. rear suspension if you want to spend your money on that its the way to go. a more inexpensive route would be to gox the lowers, and air bags. tranny well converter is a must and if you stay l\u vigalante or ptsxtreme 9/11 3500. if you want to go n\l art carr 3200. the tranny cooler the bigger the better. just so you know that stock tranny will break with time. it will need some billet parts. and also the turbo, inj and ecu, intercooler and converter you could most likely find in the parts for sale section. as far as the others they can be found it will take more time. sorry cant help you with the alcy. trying to find which one i like more. like 2quik6 said have someone experienced port those heads. and as far a anyone working on your car make sure they know TR. good luck
steve

you dont need to have the ecu changed for 50's now you can even get 60's for the stock ecu,

2QUIK6 gave you some real good advice, i would listen to what he said.

Thanks

Thanks for your input guys, very helpful still trying to decide on Turbo. Does anybody know where the get instructions on adding to stock intercooler. I have an extra one bought off e-bay thinking maybe cheaper to put two together than buying a new BIG one. Also I thought that pinion snubber was a must there again so many opioins. I really trust the advice of the SENIOR MEMBERS so thanks again.

That was not meant to say don't trust everyones opinion, nothing bad intended there, just mean the Senior guys have been around this stuff for a long time. Thanks.