Stripping old tint

DCEPTCN

Smasher-Devourer
When I recently bought the latest GN, the window tint was hideous. I mean bubbling, it had turned a very light purple color...really, it's enough to make you sick. So, instead of paying someone else a chunk of change, I got all Mr. Fix-it and decided to do it myself. It has, so far, been every bit as frustrating as I had anticipated. Here's the real problem: I've been using the spray that is supposed to make the old stuff just "fall right off", and it helps a little, but when I have gotten the actual colored film off, there is a coat on the glass from the old adhesive.....well after 10 or 15 razor blades, that stuff is off of the side windows. Now, I have to get that adhesive crap off of the rear window, but I can't just scrape the hell out of it because of the defroster lines. WTF? Anybody got any ideas? (Other than, 'Next time don't be such a cheap skate and just pay to get it done.');)

A little dawn dish soap mixed with water and a bondo spreader,it should come right off and lots of paper towels!

Tape a black plastic bag to the inside of the glass. Leave a flap open so you can spray the window down with straight ammonia, and spray the window down so its nice and wet, seal the window off with the bag and leave in the sun. In 1/2 hour or so, wipe off the glue :)

I just took the ugly purple tint off of mine about 3 months ago. i just used some glass cleaner and a razor blade. Only took about an hour, and it didnt even damage the rear defroster

I know it is too late now but, I got mine done professionally by a fellow gn owner. I helped him pull off the old tint becuase he cut me such a good deal.
We used a heat gun on the outside while we scraped. Getting it hot helped the glue stick to the film, so It all came off in one piece.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Tape a black plastic bag to the inside of the glass. Leave a flap open so you can spray the window down with straight ammonia, and spray the window down so its nice and wet, seal the window off with the bag and leave in the sun. In 1/2 hour or so, wipe off the glue :)

TurboJim is right this is the best method to remove tint from defrost lines.

A stainless steel razor & glass cleaner work best for side glass.

Don't ever use chemicals to remove the glue, ie goof off or WD40
Use glass cleaner & (000) steel wool.

By the way, DRTHVDR-- I looked at the picture from the gnregistry that you have in your signature....very nice. I was wondering though, why does it contain 'Sylvan' in the address? Reason I'm asking is my first name is Sylvan and I've never met another in person. (but I hear it's a little more common in Canada.)

Originally posted by DRTHVDR
TurboJim is right this is the best method to remove tint from defrost lines....

Don't ever use chemicals to remove the glue, ie goof off or WD40
Use glass cleaner & (000) steel wool.

Ammonia isn't a chemical?

Originally posted by Bens87tr
Ammonia isn't a chemical?

Ammonia based glass cleaners or regular windex work fine, my point is don't use glue removing chemicals, they smell bad, and you risk damaging your trim. The worst thing is sticky slimey glue, if you use glass cleaner, razor and or steelwool, the glue will roll off without getting all over the place.

DCEPTCN - the pic is named Sylvan becouse it was taken at our annual GNRA show & shine in Sylvan Lake, Alberta, half way between Calgary & Edmonton.