Stretched IC or Front mount

geronimo1

86 GN
I am planning to upgrade my intercooler. Which is better for my needs. 86 T with 208/208 cam, Alky,60lbs injectors. Weekend driven. Maybe take to track every once in a while. Live in NC so 90-95 degree July and August but that is all. Any feedback helpful.

Age old debate. Probably get a 50/50 response but here is my take. As long as you have a good fan setup a front mount is my preference. So much easier to do any work to the front of the motor is a big pro. Some cons are the car WILL run a bit hotter, weight moved forward. No way you will have a sleeper look.

yup !! lots of threads on this .. do a search.. I vote stock location non cool guy "look" :p

After a lot of thought and research,I went with the stock location,I felt it was more fitting,I saw how fast they are with no overheating, A/ C cranked up,sitting in traffic in front of the overheating muscle car you just passed on the highway.........oh yea!:cool:

This is all you need to know...
1. Bolts in, in about 20 mins.
2. Supports 800 HP.
3. Car runs 168 degrees.

Hope this helps,
Coach

Attachments

• 25_1_b.jpg
    25_1_b.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 205
I for one dont like the heat soak factor of the stock location ones.
Ask yourself this...What enviromant would want the intercooler in to do its job best?

In front out in the direct stream of air NOT surrounded by engine heat

Or in the engine bay surrounded by heat and having hot air blowing on it from the radiator?

The heat soak from back to back hits or aggresively driving over and over the FMIC will rein supreme.

Did you read the part about 90-95 in the summer? I will take the heat and have the intercooler be a little less efficient and the car as a whole run cooler. If he were all out racing , might be different. I am still new to the Buicks and have never run a front mount, but I am no stranger to being roadside because of overheating on a 95 degree day. My big block cars are prone to this because of the 13:1 pistons in one and overdriven blower on the other. Dont think I want to even press my luck with my GN. My PTE seems to do a fine job. My stroker next year with my Te45a will test it better.

Coach

Did you read the part about 90-95 in the summer? I will take the heat and have the intercooler be a little less efficient and the car as a whole run cooler. If he were all out racing , might be different. I am still new to the Buicks and have never run a front mount, but I am no stranger to being roadside because of overheating on a 95 degree day. My big block cars are prone to this because of the 13:1 pistons in one and overdriven blower on the other. Dont think I want to even press my luck with my GN. My PTE seems to do a fine job. My stroker next year with my Te45a will test it better.

Coach

Me too!:cool:

Front mount in my T. Never saw my engine temp go above 180*. It's usually between 165* and 178*.