Strange rattling/tapping noise on startup?

F8L WS6

I don't know if I should be alarmed or not but this is what happens. When the car is cold and I fire it up, on the initial start where the rpms come up its normal, then comes this odd rattling/tapping sound for maybe a second then it goes away and never happens again during the rest of the drive. I bring the rpms up myself, and also had a friend do it while I listened and it didn't make a noise at all. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Any clue on where to start?

Things I did right before this started happening was change oil/filter. I used Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 and I changed the oil filter to a NAPA Gold 1086. No shavings or anything in the old oil. Oil pressure hasn't changed either. Before I did this I noticed no noise.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I had the same problem when I went to a remote oil filter setup. Once I pulled it back off and went back to a standard filter setup, everything was fine again. My oil pressure came right up and never droped much below 20psi even at hot idle.

Regardless, I would just try a different oil filter, cange brand, to see if it helps. Cheap and quick possible solution.

Have to admit I'm not a synthetic fan, but curious if this the first time you used it? Nevertheless, I suspect a 'bad' filter (it does happen). Personally, when it comes to brands, I would stick with AC.

Thanks for the reply's. I figured It would probably be one of the two. I just bought the car and the first thing I did was change the oil. I have no clue what was in it before since it was at a dealership. I have loads of synthetic at the house for my other T/A so I figured I could use it. That and the filter that was on it prior was much larger than the one I put on. I only used the 1086 by reccomendations from posts I read. I think i'll get myself another filter then for sure.

Thanks alot, and if anyone else has any ideas it would be great to hear them.

If the filter does not have the anti-drain back valve, it takes a moment to fill the filter once the motor started, the tapping may be the lifters/rockers tapping when dry befroe the oil starts pumping. Pure Synthetic oil can also cause this if it sits for a while, synthetic oil does not stick to parts like conventional oil does, so the parts are drier at startup if its been sitting for a while, main reason I don't use pure syn oil since mine sit for weeks at a time without being started.

I had the same problem for a while after I switched to full synthetic, then I went to 20w50 (same oil) and switched to the Wix filter and haven't heard any noises on startup. It used to make me so nervous that every time I would need to start the car I would pull the orange wire and crank til I saw something on the oil psi guage. Try the wix filter and a little heavier oil. I have been using Castrol Syntec.