Strange problem...?

Ken87GN

I wasn't sure how to do a search for this so I'm going to ask it outright...

Tonight when I came home from work, I was opening my garage to put the car away and noticed my headlights dimmed a bit as if the fan came on or something else had turned on. Then about every minute or two it did the same thing.. I popped the hood and noticed the fan was already running. It's kinda like something is cycling every now and then.. I listened by the powermonster and didn't hear it run so that's probably not it. What could be causing this intermittent problem?

Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks..

Nothing was on.. I even turned the heater and stereo off. It's sort of like something is turning on and off.. :confused:

Internal regulator in the alternator can do this.

Check the battery and the alternator at your local parts store they should be able to do it for you.

Bad grounds or alternator wiring etc.

I actually just had the alternator changed a few days ago with a Kirban's chromed one.. although it was doing this before, thinking maybe it was the alternator. I am using a yellow top Optima battery which is only about 2 years old.

I hope this isn't the start of something complex.....!!!!! :mad:

Ok, here's an update... went out to inspect it today and found out that my fuel pump seems to be turning off for about a second then turning back on. Is this normal? Could the relay be going bad? Also, it only seems to happen when the headlights are on.. :confused:

Any suggestions...?

15 year old grounds!

I would start by checking all the ground locations. To me, it sounds like you are having chassis ground problems. This would mean the high current, constant draw items such as Headlights and Fuel Pump (Among other accessories) are suffering, and would be more obvious when these are all running at the same time.

Make sure the smaller diameter wire on the negative battery cable is connected good and tight to the body (You might see signs where it is almost melted!) Also check the fuel tank... It may not be grounded well enough for proper fuel pump opperation...

Where exactly are all the grounds located? I checked the one by the battery and seems clean and tight. I have a ground stretcher wire by the fuel pump which grounds to the frame and that is tight also. How many grounds are there altogether?

Thanks for all the help!