Strange noise

kwikgn1

I was doing some tinkering on my 87 GN with 100,000 miles. It runs very well with some easy mods. With the car running, I noticed a bad-bearing type noise from the front of the engine. I replaced the belt tensioner bearing but that did not help. Is it possible that the cam sensor is making this noise? Any help would be appreciated.

Remove the belt and start the car , this will eliminate accessories.

Bryan

my original cam sensor would make a tapping sound especially when cold. started at about 70K miles. Use some vacuum line as a stethascope to rule out everything else in that area

Assuming the accessories all check out ok from doing the belt removal trick - check your intercooler shroud and intercooler and see if it has shifted or gotten a bit loose and is banging a bit against the swaybar... I had this happen to me on my CAS stock mount and F-body front bar and it scared me half to death thinking I had a rod knock, bad timing chain, bad crank position sensor, etc.. The bracket had come loose and normal engine vibration caused a horrid sound that almost got me pulling the motor..

Hope it's something simple like this...

Billy

Water pump bearings will make a slight rattle noise when they start going out.

ks