strange noise under boost- help please!!

scot w.

GNSperformance.com
This just happened two days ago. when it gets close to 23lbs boost it makes what sounds like a spark jumping noise from the pass side. Very similar to knock. iv'e checked my knock sensor and it works and shows on the f.a.s.t.

*Note: It don't do it from 0-15lbs but only around 18-23lbs.

*Also Note: I'm NOT getting or showing any detonation at all on my classic f.a.s.t b2b! I'm running Razors dual nozzle alky kit and it's working fine too.

The car runs and drives awsome! except around the 20lb boost range, even then the car still pulls like mad and has NO drivability issues.

I'm lost here so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Right now i'm going to start looking at the coil-pack, module, plugs, wires, flywheel, tourque conv bolts, and ballancer.

The plugs have 1,200mi on them and i think they were gapped at 34.

Scot W.

Kinda sound like little pieces of gravel hitting under the hood? If so, could be your head lifting. I had that happen. Check for milk-shake in your valve cover breathers. If so, time for new head gaskets.

......*Note: It don't do it from 0-15lbs but only around 18-23lbs.

*Also Note: I'm NOT getting or showing any detonation at all on my classic f.a.s.t b2b! I'm running Razors dual nozzle alky kit and it's working fine too.........

Key word in your post is "showing". My guess from behind the keyboard is pre-ignition, detonation or both. This is "assuming" pump gas w/alchy at 23 psi boost?

Having done many head gaskets and replaced broken blocks from alchy customers that never recorded any knock, I would check the spark plugs first for any sign of detonation.:rolleyes:

Key word in your post is "showing". My guess from behind the keyboard is pre-ignition, detonation or both. This is "assuming" pump gas w/alchy at 23 psi boost?

Having done many head gaskets and replaced broken blocks from alchy customers that never recorded any knock, I would check the spark plugs first for any sign of detonation.:rolleyes:
Nick, So what do i look for on the plugs? burnt/melted ends? pre-ignition detonation with alky? the alky don't even come on untill 8lbs:confused: and if it is pre-ignition detonation, how do you notice it? how do you stop it?

Scot w.

They are small black pin dot's on the Porcelain. If it's a fluttering sound then it's more than likely a head gasket.

Nick, So what do i look for on the plugs? burnt/melted ends? pre-ignition detonation with alky? the alky don't even come on untill 8lbs:confused: and if it is pre-ignition detonation, how do you notice it? how do you stop it?....Scot w.

Use race gas if high boost.

Here is a good link on reading spark plugs that Chuck Leeper posted a few days ago:

sparkplugreading

Nick, Nick....Nick...........you must have bought a SUPER DUPER extra hardened, non penetrating flame suit. Be prepared because all the bees are going to come out if you keep poking at the "alky" hive.

Nick, Nick....Nick...........you must have bought a SUPER DUPER extra hardened, non penetrating flame suit. Be prepared because all the bees are going to come out if you keep poking at the "alky" hive.

LOL:D :D :D

Nothing to fear, the true "alchy-holics" will never admit that too much boost and alchy is addictive, as well as hazardous to their engine's health!

With temps at 114 degrees here I am getting conditioned for all the "expected" heat!:cool:

That is why race cars on C16 never blow head gaskets, break cranks, crack blocks, etc...

Nick.. Your a Tool ;)

Kinda sound like little pieces of gravel hitting under the hood? If so, could be your head lifting. I had that happen. Check for milk-shake in your valve cover breathers. If so, time for new head gaskets.

I'll second that :cool:

LOL:D :D :D

Nothing to fear, the true "alchy-holics" will never admit that too much boost and alchy is addictive, as well as hazardous to their engine's health!

With temps at 114 degrees here I am getting conditioned for all the "expected" heat!:cool:
LOL As you yould say: Key words " too much boost" I don't consider 23lbs of boost, "too much boost".... there sure is ALOT more out there running more boost & timing..

How come there is never the controversy related to C16 race gas when the cars at BG grenade there engines, blow head gaskets and scatter parts all over the track? but when it comes to alky the old die-hards are real quick to reply that it was the alky and point fingers? What i don't understand either, is why won't more people try and get to know something new? it's not like it's going to go away! Only more people will be going with it :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the replys, I will check everything. Scot w.

That is why race cars on C16 never blow head gaskets, break cranks, crack blocks, etc...

Nick.. Your a Tool ;)

I was waiting for a response from you Razor!:smile:

We do have customers that use their alchy system wisely, usually on the street with great results. With moderate boost and pump gas, it makes for lots of "fun" on the street.;)

I was waiting for a response from you Razor!:smile:

We do have customers that use their alchy system wisely, usually on the street with great results. With moderate boost and pump gas, it makes for lots of "fun" on the street.;)

We have customers that use their alky systems wisely.. think you'll recognize this one.. :D

Just like every other fuel system part.. if maintained and tested.. works as predicted.

Attachments

• cals.jpg
    cals.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 125
Alcky is the Sh!t !!

;)
We have customers that use their alky systems wisely.. think you'll recognize this one.. :D

Just like every other fuel system part.. if maintained and tested.. works as predicted.
Whos car is that need specks and #'s