Strange Happenings

87T-Type

Please do not flame me, I do not have a scanmaster yet. This is whats happening: Car starts and runs fine and strong, I take it for a few quick trips around the block to break in the new motor, come back, turn it off and I do this a few times. However after several trips and the motor heats up, I turn it off and try to re start it, the starter will not do anything, no click, no nothing. Everything else is working the way it should, fuel pump is working, lights, horn, everything. When I get out the battery charger with the 200 amp car start and hook it up, she kicks right over. I have redone the grounds thinking it might be that, no luck. It also has died when pulling into the driveway after these no starts happen. but as soon as I hit it with that 200 amp start, it fires right up. It is a new high torque starter, i changed the coil pack last night, no go. I am thinking it may be the alternator but that was new too. I am going to pull the new battery and the alternator and have them checked out. Any other suggestions are welcome! when she is running, she runs good, but I am afraid to go anywhere and turn her off!

If it jumps off and you can drive her after the cables are unhooked then its not the alt. When the alt. is bad and batt goes dead shes not going anywhere till the batt. is recharged. Since all accesories are working I'm leaning towards starter or wiring issues. A new starter does'nt always mean a good starter. You could've picked up a defective unit.

wires

Check the starter wires the exhaust can get very hot and melt them. If not pull starter and bench test it with the battery charger good luck and keep us informed of what happens.

Ok, I have moved and checked all grounds, and had the battery checked out. What seems to be happening is when the car gets hot is when the starter will fail to engage. I let the car cool down overnight, did not attempt to fix anything and the starter engaged and the car started right up. I am guessing the starter is the problem, so i am going to remove it and have it checked out as well. I just never saw a starter only work when it was cool, but this is just the next step, I am sure I will figure it out with time and Patience.

No, I had my old one rebuilt by a local guy thats been doing it for years. He rebuilt it with 2 leads and a new case that isnt aluminum, new solenoid, and even painted it black for me. Had it ready in under 24 hours all for 50 bucks!
Gonna have to take it back to him and have him check it out.

You have a heat soak issue. I used to have the same problem with my old car. One of the windings is breaking down under heat.

Ok, here is an update. Removed the starter and had it tested out, it tested fine, the guy did a few tricks to try and keep the heat out, I reinstalled it with a small tin heat sheild I made for around the solenoid. car started right up, I did not let it heat up though, so I will have to run it for a bit tomorrow and see how it does. But so far, not the battery and not the starter when I had them tested. I will keep you posted. :confused: