Strange, car wont start problem.

ACLR8R

I went out to start the buick up last night and it wouldnt start. So I started to listen and when I would turn the key on the fuel pump wasnt kicking on. I would let it crank and after I would stop cranking I could hear the fuel pump come on and run for a few seconds then kick off. I tried for about a half an hour to get it started, with no success. Then I went out this morning and it fired right up and I didnt have a problem all day. So it is working now but I dont want it to do it again when I am somewhere other than home:( What do you think it could be? the relay? the pump? Sorry for the length, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have my orignal service manuels for my GN and it says under "Cranks but won't start" that the fuel pump should only run for 2 seconds when the key is switched to the on/not start position.

yes the pump wasn't coming on when put to the on postion. I would try to crank it and then when I put it back to the on position it would run.

Is the fuel pump hotwired ? Could have an intermittent grounding problem, check for chafes in wiring harness. Have seen that a few time.

how old is the coil pack and ignition module?

I had a very similar problem, only not at my house unfortunatly.

it could be a lot of things though, cam sensor, uh, cant' think of all the stuff that was in the service manual off the top of my head, but about all you can do is start testing and or replacing parts, which isn't necessarly a bad idea if the car has a lot of miles on it.

Thanks for the replies.
I dont think it has anything to do with the coil pack or ignition module. The fuel pump just wasnt kicking on when it should. I will have to check the wiring and the relay first.