Storage for Winter

MNwe4

To all that have to put their cars away for 4-5 months, what are you doing with your e85? When running gas I would just add some stabil, top off the tank, and park it. It would fire up and run just fine every spring. Just wondering what people have done or are planning on doing with e85.

Nothing besides start it every once in a while and keep it under half a tank.

Past few years I have done nothing, stored with a near full tank. Recently I picked up a bottle of ethanol stabilizer additive that was on the shelf at autozone just to try.

Thanks guys. I spoke to a few more local GN owners and they said similar things. Just top it off and as long as it's in a relatively dry place it will be fine. I think I'll add the regular Stabil as I have in the past as well.

Stabil won't do a thing for ethanol.

I usually run my tank down low, drop the fuel pressure to 20 or so and fill up with cheapo 86 octane. Always got me home, AFR's aren't even that rich with the low fuel pressure. Then I have a hose I hoook up to the fuel rail and just use the fuel pump to pump it all back into the daily drivers come spring. It will degade and absorb water over the winter months, don't care how dry you think your garage is. Can't say that it will hurt much, but I wouldn't drive the car on "the edge" tune wise after it's been sitting all winter. Maybe crank the boost down low if you go this route until you can refil the tank with new e85.

I pump it all out and switch to gasoline and store it with that.
For me that has always worked, it is also a lot easier on the fuel lines as per Fragola.
Then in the spring I pump it out and use it to top off the stuff thats not so sensitive to fuel quality like my scooter, lawnmower, golfcart, ect ect

-Dan

I fill the tank, drive the first tank in the spring without getting after it too much. Fill it up with fresh fuel replace the filter. Two years now no problem.

Stabil won't do a thing for ethanol.

Have you seen the new green stuff? If I remember correctly it's a Lucas product. I have no idea if it works, but the label says that for ethanol it's the best thing since sliced bread! LOL... I figured it's worth a try.

You mean this stuff?:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=335&catid=8&loc=show

One thing I seem to be noticing is that there may be a difference between the "treatments" and "stabilizers". The treatment appears to condition the fuel so it may be safer for a wider range of applications while a stabilizer would be for storage. At least that's how I interpret it. The Stabil brand does have an ethanol treatment, but I didn't see anything about storage on the bottle. I may give this Lucas a try as it seems to be a bit of both.

Cool. Anybody ever tried Sea Foam? I don't think I've ever heard a bad comment about it. Just bought a used snowmobile and the previous owner swears by the stuff.