Stop Theft

Seffin

Car Audio GuRu
I have been looking at buying a GN for a while now. I was speaking with my mechanic and he was telling me how easy they are to steal. It kind of scared me due to the fact I am planning to use it as a daily driver for a while. So what is the best way to keep your car from getting stolen? I know like store it in a garage at night and don't travel into bad neighborhoods, and get good insurance. But what are the tricks you guys use to keep em?

There are things like anti theft chips and alarms (yeah i know that one is obvious). You can install a kill switch or fuel shut off also. I am sure there are other creative ways of doing it also. I had an anti theft chip for a long time and it drove my wife crazy because she would never remember how to start it :cool:

I installed alarms for a few years. The basic alarm system can be bypassed by even a rookie car theif. I have came up with a few things that can really tick a theif off. On these cars you could hot wire your fuel pump as you should anyway. Install a hidden switch or even run it off your alarm so that if you do not disarm the alarm or flip the switch the pump will not start. Also if your really worried you can put a hidden relay on a important sensor like a cam sensor. I worked on a car that all the alarm wires were black and the alarm was hidden under the dash so to get to it you litterly had to take the top of the dash off. With that battery backup and a really loud siren there not gonna get far. I would never install an alarm without battery backup. This makes it so even if they get under the hood and cut the battery cables the alarm will still go off. This makes it hard for them to try and tow it away. Im pretty sure at least around here they wouldnt get too far with a car with the alarm going off. Also find a good shop to install your alarm. Dont go cheap. One other tip is make sure after they install the alarm they show you all the little secrets. Valet mode and how to silence it if you loose your remotes. So many shops just intall and hand you the keys. Most people have no idea how to really use their alarm. Good luck

Brett have you used either of the two devices that you listed?
I own a Ravelco but have not installed it as of yet. I did own the Powerlock and had it on my last car. Worked great.You can get with a remote deactivator when u get with in 10 feet of the car or a manual one. Look on the site and u will se what I mean.

Is a matter of fact Cotton use to have a huge Powerlock banner in his shop a few years back. He turned me onto it.

He stated that he had a customer from Jersey drop off their car to have it worked on they could not get the car started and could not figure out how to start it. So he called the owner and asked him if there was some sort of kill switch onthe car. The owner stated he forgot to leave the remote for him to unlock the Powerlock.

Cotton stated that they had to actually change out the starter to get it to work since the starter had the Powerlock attached to it and there was no way around it. It goes on with backwards facing teeth with epoxy. Trust me, u cant get it off without damaging the starter.

Cotton stated after that he started offering it to his customers stating that he could get the thing to start then ur average car theif definately wouldn't beable to.

Both units will work just fine.

Don't just do one thing. You have to have a system with multiple layers. Alarm with motion/glass sensors, powerlock, cut-off switch(2x), theft chip, and whatever else you can think of. The trick is to either frustrate the thief so that they leave or stall them long enough for you to beat their ass.

installing a pager style car alarm this winter....going with 3 separate sirens....one under hood, one back under the car in case they cut the wires to the under hood one....and one 120 db siren under the dash on a 30 second delay(so if they do get in the car....they won't like it)

right now i have the grant "no wheel-no steal" system....

HPIM2108.jpg

replaces your steering wheel with a cap...if you get the car running, you might be able to turn the wheel if you are Popeye.....also got a few other things....since i did the 5.3 swap i can swap relays(one has pins, but no internals) and nothing works....

also going with a poor mans lojack....a prepaid cell phone rigged up to the battery and hidden somewhere in the car....use the cell phone tracker gps website and you know where it is at all times

One very simple device is to wire in a kill switch via a socket for headphones. I disconnect the coil pack (hard to jumper).

The thief will never guess the headphone socket is a kill switch and you just have to have a jumpered male plug to close the open the plug makes.

Use those small 1/8 inch jacks, just pull it out when you park it and put it in your pocket.

PS. Hide a spare male jumpered jack in the trunk.

Mikey

Column guard, kill switches, hidden sirens allover the car ran off of another battery instead of the one used for starting the engine....can all slow down a car thief and in some cases possibly stop them all together, but a determined thief with the right stuff will get your car no matter what....short of you having a .45 aimed at his head while he's in the act.

What your mechanic told you is correct....and it's not just Grand Nationals and Regals, but also Cutlasses, Monte Carlos and even Grand Prix's built from 1978-1987 are easy theft autos.

Theft

Guys bottom line if the want it they will get it. I have seen it all....an alarm with a siren?they spray the foam insulation in the horn to stop it,no steering wheel they will tow it I have heard of guys pushing a car 2 blocks befor they start it. My theory is try to keep them from towing it best alarm? a 12 gauge being racked in the middle of the night.

when I park my car

I turn the wheel all the way left or right. If they have a towtruck, it will be pulled over quickly for taking up two lanes. If they tried to pull it out of garage, it will be destroyed--they will look for easier target hopefully. Also disconnect orange(?) wire next to battery.

There is one other way!

Simply make the punishment worth more than the object stolen.

We coddle criminals who don't pay taxes and we the taxpayers pay their expenses. Make the criminals pay back 2X the value of the object stolen to the victim and then make them pay expenses for their incarceration. When the bill is paid they get out. Put them to work on manual labor jobs for state gov't/federal gov/t/DOT jobs. If they refuse to be productive they get demoted to lower paying jobs just like in the real world. No plea bargians needed because if they refuse to name accomplices they are responsible for their share too.

Oh yea, they also have to buy medical insurance just like me!
I'm sorry, I'm being cruel now!

Mikey

Layered defense as mentioned. Deterrants to delay the time needed to make the steal is the objective. I don't know of any detterant to a roll back truck though if vehicle is out in the open? Some avoid attending large car shows due to this and it gives you something to think about. Best advice I'd give is to make sure you have your car insured for it's current worth including a current appraisal. Careful guys of mentioning which you have on your cars as thugs read the forums too! :eek::mad:

Brett this is what I am thinking tell me what you think. I am going to start off with the Python 991 connected to 3 sirens all on seperate batteries, a Ravelco and a powerlock. I dont think a kill switch is in need with the ravelco would you agree? Let me know what you think.

Brett this is what I am thinking tell me what you think. I am going to start off with the Python 991 connected to 3 sirens all on seperate batteries, a Ravelco and a powerlock. I dont think a kill switch is in need with the ravelco would you agree? Let me know what you think.
well, that would certainly be more protection then most. kill switch is not needed as the Ravelco is the ultimate kill switch.

if u really want to go all out get police sirens. they are about 100 decibels I think. im sure the pythons would be fine tho.

I think a lot of people who think like you and go waaaay beyond what someone else would do to protect their car have a tendancy to overlook the fact that all the security, gps, or trunk monkeys u put in there will not prevent a tow truck from hooking ur chit up in about 30 seconds and driving away with it.

gps might get it back but in what condition u have to ask urself.

i dont think u need anything more then the ravelco or powerlock by themselves as far as an ignition/starter kill. i dont think u need both but i guess the more the merrier.

as basic as it might sound the club will work better in our cars then others since the sterring wheel is solid and not as easy to cut thru. with an audible it will give u a few more seconds to get out there. it would not hurt to have one and would deter probably half the car theifs who are goin out for joy rides vs. parts.

Im going to put a couple in mine when I get it running again. Might get one for crank sensor, ecu, fuel pump. But you cant protect your car from a tow truck or flat bed.