stolen gn question

G

gs&gnnut

So, how do you tell for sure if a gn is stolen or if the vin was changed just for insurance sake, if the carfax doesn't specify stolen, but only shows the vin is different? Sure you can check the vin plate, but are there any more tell-tale signs? I'm looking at a t-type now, and I surely want to check it over good before buying. You just can't be too careful these days!

It would be bad to find a gn or t-type then lose it because it was stolen. Is there a statute of limitations on a stolen vehicle? Ya know, it is a same there are such crooks in the world.

Check the motor for matching numbers. Also the trunk should have the vin with options on it. Drivers door will give you info on where the car was made and date. Under hood there is a color code on drivers side. Also I'm told the VIN is on the frame , but I don't know where.

Good luck. Had one stolen In surance sold it at auction.
Guy calls me up and asks me if I wanted it. But wouldn't give me aprice. He lived in Long Island. Car was found in the Bronx Stripped...... Still have all the papers for it though.

vins and revins

Hey as far as i know ive never heard of Re-vining a car for insurances sake . If a car is stolen and recovered the state issues at least in N.Y a 907 a title and i belive it has a sticker in the door jam . Anyway the Easy things to look for is the dash Vin should have the letter prefixes for a Gn and vin code 7 for the engine , if it comes back as a regal well thats not legit if it is indeed a factory turbo car , also check on the door drivers door for the sticker there it also has the vin# and then the trunk too , thats the easy ones , as far as the motor its got #s on it but its a code thats going to be useless to you . Give NYPD auto crime a call , if you find a nice cop mabe you could get some more details if you really want to get crazy . The vin plate is riveted to the dash with rosett rivits , not phillips head screws or any thing else . but thats not realy easily checked unless you take the dash apart. If the car was re taged with a wreaked GN/turbocars vin it is harder to detect . hope i helped you a little and totaly havent confused you , good luck .;) ;)

A friend of mine took a wrecked 99 cobra mustang with a salvage title and put it back together using many parts from a recovered theft 95 GT, he titled the car as the GT and he tells me it is all totally legal.