stock turbo ?

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
any mods I can do to the stock turbo besides putting an adjustable wastegate on it? On a budget build here so I have to utilize what I got. How fast of a 1/4 mile time can I get off of the stock turbo? Suggestions please. What's the easiest way to clean an assembled turbo? Is brake cleaner safe if used on a rag?

GNttype.org has a whole article on porting the stock turbo. As well as porting the IC inlet area. Might be a good days work, but it's free mods with the right tools.

I'll check it out if it ever gets back up. Any suggestions on cleaning it up. Doing a rebuild and don't want a dirty turbo staring at me.

Take the compressor side housing off and port/polish it up leaving the part thats fits near the blades alone, only port/polish the outlet part.
If you still have the stock exhaust housing and 90 degree dp, that can be ported and polished out as well rounding all of the edges inside of it and opening it up.
Stock turbo has been known to high high 11's . The best I got out it was 12.40 at 112.

I went 12.03 @ 113 with a untouched stock turbo on the frist GN I had back in the early 90's. I had a Hooker 2.5" downpipe, XP fuel pump, Red 108 chip, K&N, stock injectors and stock intercooler, cut out and a pair of 26X8.5 slicks. It ran about 6 passes in a row in the 12.00's but I just could not get to go 11.99!

I did the GNttype thing about 4 or 5 years even though I talked to John Craig about the benifits of this work. He told me it wouldn't hurt anything but not to expect much as the stock turbo would only flow so much air. I want to think it helped some as I spent some time in this project. I did run high 11.70's at 24# of boost with race gas. The car really came alive when I added a Razor alky kit and an Eric Marshall chip. I was then able to run more boost and more timing efectivly due to the great reduction in the intake charge.

Wish I had known you back then. Could of saved alot of money to a little faster.........Guess should ask several people before you spend money.
Thanks for education. As I am now in the middle of building a block for my totally revamped W/B Limited.............Rob :wink: