Stock Turbo Exhaust side oil leak?

Fastair6

Can anyone tell me what usually happens when the turbo oil seal leaks on the exhaust side? I'm currently stationed overseas and my dad has a 26 thousand mile original TTA that starting smoking heavily after coming out of storage. I had him pull the the up pipe off the throttle body and he found no oil. Then I had him check the plugs and he found only the passenger side plugs were fouled. He then checked compression in all cylinders and found no problems. Finally, he swapped a known good coil pack and module with the same results. I'm not there, but it seems that if the exhaust side seal is blown then oil could run down the exhaust header and into the head through the exhaust ports causing the fouled plugs. Please let me know if i'm on the right/wrong track on this.
Thanks for your help.
JB

The ex seal does more of a job of keeping ex gases out of the crankcase than sealing oil. It's
A piston ring seal and can't blow. If there is oil in the cylinders I'd suspect the intake guides are leaking oil. Not common though. If you see smoke it's probably turbo. The turbine end of the shaft becomes carbonized and won't sling oil away properly. If there is any drainback problem it will leak oil into the ex also

Brian, thanks for the info. I'll check drain back at the top of the cylinder head and the turbo drain as well, but I don't expect to find anything. Had the motor out last year to just upgrade the rear main and front seal. I'm heading back to CT in September, so I'll be able to take a look at it. If it is the turbo, would you be able to rebuild it?
Thanks again.
JB

Fastair6 said:
Brian, thanks for the info. I'll check drain back at the top of the cylinder head and the turbo drain as well, but I don't expect to find anything. Had the motor out last year to just upgrade the rear main and front seal. I'm heading back to CT in September, so I'll be able to take a look at it. If it is the turbo, would you be able to rebuild it?
Thanks again.
JB

I could rebuild it or send you a fresh cartridge and you can swap out the housings. I'll accept your cartridge as a core toward the fresh one if the wheels aren't damaged.