Stock springs & shocks

map 87 gn

Hello,

I am getting ready to change my original springs & shocks to OEM springs & shocks. My GM parts guy is telling me that there was 2 different kind of springs listed for these vehicles. Can someone "illuminate" me with which one would be correct for an 87 GN (parts # or anything else).
Also saw listed on the different vendors site some regular springs & some "variable rate" springs. Could someone please explain the difference between both?

Thnaks in advance & any help or info is always great. :)

Hello,

I am getting ready to change my original springs & shocks to OEM springs & shocks. My GM parts guy is telling me that there was 2 different kind of springs listed for these vehicles. Can someone "illuminate" me with which one would be correct for an 87 GN (parts # or anything else).
Also saw listed on the different vendors site some regular springs & some "variable rate" springs. Could someone please explain the difference between both?

Thnaks in advance & any help or info is always great. :)

1) Perhaps you can better explain what the parts-counter monkey told you your options were before we can recommend anything?

2) Why are you keeping the springs and shocks to stock?

There are much better options in the aftermarket these days for the same money or less than you would pay at the stealership for stock-like crap shocks.

3) Are you looking to maintain the nose-high stock look of an 87 GN?

If you want style points there are lots of threads here that will get you a nice drop using off the shelf replacement springs (ie MOOG).

With all that said you want non-variable rate springs for stock replacement; front and rear. Variable rate springs increase their rate as they are compressed (soft to firm) depending on the road conditions.

Hello Mr T,

Here are answers to your questions,

1) The parts guy at the GM dealership checked the parts with my vin & he told me that their computer was showing 2 possibilities for spring for my car.

2) I was looking to keep the stock springs & shocks to keep the stock ride height & also have the same "ride quality" that Buick has always had. In other words I want the ride comfort :)

3) I didn't know that a stock suspension set-up had the nose-high look. That is not really the look I was looking for but I don't really like the look of a high rear end either (at least not for my car at this time).

So in short I would like to keep the stock height or very close to it & the comfort of the stock suspension or close to it. Any suggestions are always welcomed. Thanks also for the info on variable rate springs. Very helpful. :)

For the stock height use Moog 5660's in the front and Moog 5379 for the rear.

If you want the car to sit in a more performance oriented way, use the Moog 5658 in the front and Duralast RCS5379S rears. (This is my favorite combo!)

For the stock height use Moog 5660's in the front and Moog 5379 for the rear.

If you want the car to sit in a more performance oriented way, use the Moog 5658 in the front and Duralast RCS5379S rears. (This is my favorite combo!)

For bolt on simplicity I would go with these recommendations... and add a set of stock replacement Bilstein shocks.