stock shifter wobbles

turbogimp

my stock shifter wobbles all over the place. it seems to be loose at the bottom of the chrome shaft where it mounts up to the rest of the shifter in the center console. nothing seems to be broken how do i fix this before it breaks. thanks in advance.

shifter

by wobbles do you mean front to back, side to side, or both? i just had my console out to put a new stock shifter in. is the pin that holds the shift rod in loose or worn out? there is a hairpin style clip that holds the large pin in, if it were to somehow work loose that may make the shift rod wobble. also, is the shifter assembly still bolted to the floor with its four bolts? you will probably have to remove the console if you have not already, but the shifter handle would have to come off first

well it wobbles both ways. i haven't taken any thing apart yet. i just took of the top part of the console and notcied that the chrome shaft was moving right at the bracket. if you click on this link http://perfauto.tripod.com/data/4-107.pdf the shaft moves but part number 27 (the bracket) doesn't have any play. thanks in advance.

its probably cracked.

my stock one was ****ty like that, i found another one at a junkyard from a lesser mile car and it was much better.. try some JB weld. i think the chrome shaft is just pressed into the U bracke.t

shift rod

sounds like the shift rod is broken, since it is welded to the u-bracket, you will probably need a new one