Stock rims... 275/50 or 275/60 Drag Radials?

bishir

Serenity Now
Well, I'm getting to build my dream garage so money for extras like rims will be tight for a while. Looks like I'll have to stick with my stock rims until the garage is finished. Now I'm trying to decided the differences in performace between the two sizes I've already listed. Remember this is on my stock rims. Is a 275/60 too much for the stock rim? Also, I would like to determine what each would look like. If you have a picture please post a link to it.

Thanks,

James

275/50 looks great but rubs.

275/60 no rubs but I dont like the look, too much rubber, not enough wheel IMO

I had 275/50 on mine when it was stock, looked awesome. It just sat "right". And they stuck pretty good too. The stock rim is just a little narrow for these, so the sidewalls kinda curve in, but it is sweet.

Do the 50s rub all the time or only on tight turns? I'd really like to see a picture of some 60s to see if it looks like too much rubber. That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure..

James

I have the 275 50 nittos, and they have never rubbed!! I've got at least 1/2" clearance on both sides, and they look great. Only problem with my car is they are not tall enough. At the strip I'm going through the traps in 3rd at 5500-5600 rpm.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
I have the 275 50 nittos, and they have never rubbed!! I've got at least 1/2" clearance on both sides, and they look great. Only problem with my car is they are not tall enough. At the strip I'm going through the traps in 3rd at 5500-5600 rpm.
Just for info, that's what I read and now use on my mostly stock car, 28x9 MT slicks and locking the converter keeps the rpm lower through the traps. Going for some 28" BFGs on the street soon, but like blackbuick said, it does look like a lot of tire for the wheel. But it can be a good look also and think of the added footprint of the tire for the launch.

Bishir, I'll send you a pic of a GN with the 28" tire. Tim

Thanks for the picture! That does look like a lot of tire. I would like to hit 7s in the 1/8th since that's all we have around here. That would make me happy. Did you run those 7s on your drag radials?

Thanks,

James

you will need a spacer with the 275 50 bfg but look good if your gonna race 60's might be a better choice . i had the 50's on stock t rims and went 1.9 60 foot with a all stock setup. you will need longer studs with the 50's if your gonna race .

How much of a spacer?

Also, I've never bought or used a spacer before so where do you buy them and how safe are they?

James

are we talking gn or t-type stock wheels. i have 275-60 nittos on stock gn wheels and its loweres a little, no rubbing at all. had the 50s too and no problems either.

Originally posted by bishir
Thanks for the picture! That does look like a lot of tire. I would like to hit 7s in the 1/8th since that's all we have around here. That would make me happy. Did you run those 7s on your drag radials?

Thanks, James
James, yes, I have some info in my sig on that. My BFG DRs are only 235s, and I have only ran them only about 6 passes total on two different tracks. They will go mid to low 1.7s on my bone stock suspension, except airbags, and also depends on track prep. Best of 1.71 and it's all in the launch technique, no big burnout or waterbox, just cleaned the tires off with a light spin, minor smoke. I run about 21 psi on a stock turbo, Thrasher 100, and 110 Torco, and the ETs are 7.9s with mid to low 1.7 sixty foots. The best part about that is those times beat a lot of "street" cars at the track, and you can surprise the LS1s.

Do a search by my screen name tim87tr and by keyword "launch". I've posted on lots of threads on launch technique that worked for me on DRs. One of the many reasons I think these cars are unique, their ability to 60' well even on stock parts.

Thanks for the info. Those times sound very respectible and enough for my car. So it appears the 50s rub on some cars and not others. I guess I'll have to order and see. I'd still like to see a picture of 60s on stock GN rims.

James

Where do they rub? Inside outside on the fender well? Why would the 60's not rub and the 50's would? 275 50 would be shorter than 275 60...

Originally posted by aperrego
Where do they rub? Inside outside on the fender well? Why would the 60's not rub and the 50's would? 275 50 would be shorter than 275 60...

With stock wheels, frame rub. The 60's are narrower than the 50's (8.8 vs. 10" tread width)... but the 60's will hook better due to the longer contact patch, reduced gear reduction and more flexible sidewall.

Nitto tires are narrower and shorter than the equivalent BFG so they will rub less than the equivalent BFG.

BFG 275/50's are 26" tall while the 275/60's are 28" tall (nittos are 1/4" shorter for each)

With a stock longblock, 28" tires work best in the 1/4 mile, otherwise you will run out of RPM (especially with the nitto 50's)

What UNGN said, that's where I got most all my tire/wheel info to begin with :D

UNGN, while we're on the subject and the question could add to it, my MT 28x9s on stock T rims with steel drums and air bags, rub a bit on the frame rail at the track (I'm sure in a corner at the end). I want to run 275/60 BFG DRs on 8.5 Vectors. Any experience with this setup?

Originally posted by tim87tr
I want to run 275/60 BFG DRs on 8.5 Vectors. Any experience with this setup?

No but if you sell them to me, I'll tell you how they fit :) By all indications they work fine. You may have to massage the inner edge of the Wheel opening moldings to keep the tire tread from grabbing it on large bumps.

Originally posted by matt87
are we talking gn or t-type stock wheels. i have 275-60 nittos on stock gn wheels and its loweres a little, no rubbing at all. had the 50s too and no problems either.

SO THE GN WHEELS AND THE T WHEELS HAVE DIFFERENT
BACKSPACE,OFFSET OR BOTH??

I WAS ALSO WONDERING HOW GOOD ARE THE 235/60 OR
245/60 DR'S NITTO'S OR BFG'S.WILL THEY MAKE A DIFFERENCE OVER REGULAR RADIALS?
FOR THE SRTEET ONLY NO STRIP USE.

Originally posted by ttypenssrider
I WAS ALSO WONDERING HOW GOOD ARE THE 235/60 OR
245/60 DR'S NITTO'S OR BFG'S.WILL THEY MAKE A DIFFERENCE OVER REGULAR RADIALS?
FOR THE SRTEET ONLY NO STRIP USE.
You'll get many opinions on drag radials, but I like the BFGs. My 235s went 1.71 60', best of 4 passes, so they do hook :) If you are running street tires and they start to spin at the top of first and into the second shift, drag radials will prevent that until you are making a lot more power.