Stock radio - right channel out

BuickMike

Money pit
Hey all,

Last night I was helping my buddy swap the stock radio back in his low mile GN. When we hooked it up, the right channel was quiet and muffled. We grabbed my stock unit and both challens were fine, so it is not a wiring issue. I was tempted to swap faceplates, buttons, and cassette doors since his looks brand new, but my fader, balance, and volume are all worn out and cut out / crackle when used. He really wants the OEM head unit, so is there a way we could swap the amp sections of the radios, or is that not feasible? I haven't pulled one apart. If someone is a guru on these, let me know. Also, let me know if there is a reputable repair center for these.

Thanks,

Mike

I think you can swap the amp. I have had one apart and they do have a removable amp on the side.

I've done this, but am no expert on it. I had a newer barely used GM radio, the type with the smaller connectors on it. The radio in the GN had the right channel out, tape deck appeared to have been well used. Swapped both the tape deck module and the amp module into the GN radio. Tape deck was a direct swap.

The amp module was different due to how the two different radios were powered up. The modules design was the same, but there were jumpers that were different. So, I just changed the jumpers in the new module to match the old. It worked.

If there is Concert Sound in the car be careful when changing front speakers (dash or door). The front ones run in parallel and are higher in resistance.

Light bulbs:

Plug-able, to left & right of volume control:
GE 37, green bead, 14.8 ohms, 80 mA

Soldered, to right of display:
14V, 80 mA, 0L-330BP, in plastic holder

RemoveBeforeFlight

I'm having the exact same issue with a mint radio in a 15000 mile GN. I spent hours checking wiring etc and finally bought an aftermarket alpine. Sounds great but I wanted to put the stock radio back in. Any help replacing right channel in radio would be appreciated. I checked used radios but I'm scared I'll just run into another problem with a used radio. Any ideas or help?

I haven't looked into it too far, but I did pull my old radio apart to expose the amplifier circuit board. Unfortunately one of the ribbon cables is soldered to the board with the controls on it (vol, tune, etc) and mine are shot. So if I do the amplifier board swap on my buddy's radio I will need to keep his controls in place and use my amplifier board. That is assuming the problem is with his amp and not the circuit behind the balance control. We have nothing to lose, so I'll probably go for it in the next few weeks. If I do it, I'll do a write up and post it.

If you attempt it let me know. This sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I've got to do something to this radio looks too nice not to try and fix it.

If there is Concert Sound in the car be careful when changing front speakers (dash or door). The front ones run in parallel and are higher in resistance.

Make sure you wire new front speakers in SERIES so that you double the ohm rating from 4 to

Last edited:
Make sure you wire new front speakers in SERIES so that you double the ohm rating from 4 to

Wish a previous owner did that. IIRC, the front dash speakers that were in there was something like 2 ohms. Likely what took out the amp in the radio.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I have a stock 87 GN delco radio with equalizer,CD For sale it has the harness plug with it. This radio came out of my Buick, its been setting in my garage for 20yrs. It worked when removed. Any interest ???