stock oil pump gear length

GN-231

Anyone have a stock pump gear laying around there work bench? I have was wondering if my front cover has stock or HV gears and I don't have any point of reference.
My gears measure 7/8" in length (face width).

Sounds like stockers, besides, if HV gears, there should be a spacer installed before the cover to accomodate the longer HV gears.

Thanks. I had kind of figured that maybe that was the case but I wasn't totally sure. I was thinking about going with a HV pump, but it seems like everyone says the stocker is good enough for even a race engine, plus I really don't want the extra thrust loads on the cam. Seems like the higher volume are designed more for higher RPM engines like SBCs.

I have over 125,000 miles with my HV pump. Cam bearings problems I guess are a possibility, but a very remote possibility with a V6. In my opinion, it is very unlikely. You don't want your engine to have borderline sufficient oil pressure. I read about people with low oil pressure problems. I'll tell you what, if you have low oil pressure with a HV pump, you'll know it's NOT the pump, and that you have a more serious problem you better fix.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I have over 125,000 miles with my HV pump. Cam bearings problems I guess are a possibility, but a very remote possibility with a V6. In my opinion, it is very unlikely. You don't want your engine to have borderline sufficient oil pressure. I read about people with low oil pressure problems. I'll tell you what, if you have low oil pressure with a HV pump, you'll know it's NOT the pump, and that you have a more serious problem you better fix.

Hmm. thank you for clearing this up for me. alot of people are tell me to go with the stock unit. I really do see why, unless you are cheap. the bore in my stock oil pump housing are badly damage by the gears. so i am 100% i will go with the HV pump with timing cover.

http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126251

After reading that post, I might add that my cam sensor assembly is original and has 263,000 miles on it with a hi-volume pump for the last 125,000 miles. That just about kicks that myth in the a$$.