Stock motor internally or externally balanced?

tta1401

As the title says, which one is it? I have heard both and I am confused now.:confused: I thought it was externally balnaced due to the balancer having weights or am I just wrong about that? I have more questions after this but I need to know this question first!:redface:

TIA

So that means that the balancer balances the whole roataing assembly? And if I were to get a aftermarket balancer like a BHJ, than I would have to get the external one and not the neutrally balanced one, correct?

So that means that the balancer balances the whole roataing assembly? And if I were to get a aftermarket balancer like a BHJ, than I would have to get the external one and not the neutrally balanced one, correct?
the flywheel has a lot to do with the balance of the engine-------thats why some of the large "circles" are only "crescents"............RC

Just was talking to the guy that will balance my engine today. I never really knew what the difference in internal/external balance.

He said usually external balance is done for cost cutting or when there is not enough room to put enough weight on the crank to balance the rods/pistons.
So the required weight is put on the flex plate instead. Plate has larger diameter so less weight is required also.

I am still a bit confused.:confused: My motor on jy new GN was just refreshed before I purchesed and my crank was turned 10/10. The guy who did it said that the crank was checked an balanced. I still have the original balancer and flexplate of course. So, if my crank was 'checked and balanced', shouldn't I be using a neatral balanced balancer/flexplate or I am thinking too much?

The reason why I am asking is because I have a minute wobble you can see on the balancer. I have pulled it off and retorqued to specs and you can still see it an it is biugging the crap out of me. I have another banacer and hub but I wanted to ask these questions before I go messing things up even more.

I know I should be asking the guy who rebuilt it but he is a very hard man to get ahold of so I asked the guy I bought the car off of, which is a very good friend of mine back in OK so I know he is not giving me the run around.

I appreciate the responses. I thought I understood it but I really never needed to know this until now since I have never had to rebuild anything. Far as I have ever needed to go was head gaskets. I figured I better ask now!

TIA,

You should be able to install another stock balancer to check the wobble issue without causing any problems since you have one laying around.