Stock main caps on a steel crank?

boostmaster

How important is it to run aftermarket main caps on a steel crank? Since the crank flexing is the weak point is it really necessary to replace the caps when installing a steel crank or would main studs suffice? Real world info only please no preferential or hypothetical replies.

Thanks, Pete

I would think it would work as most people only do steel for the middle two caps anyways. It's probably more a decision that should be based on the performance goals for the car.

I would think it would work as most people only do steel for the middle two caps anyways. It's probably more a decision that should be based on the performance goals for the car.

X2

if your gonna bother putting a nice rotating assy inthe enigne like rods and a good crank, it would be wise to have either a girdle or billet caps with arp studs to keep it all in place when the time comes that you get greedy

If it comes down to one or the other I would go steel crank over caps every time. That is how I did my 4.1L build and am not too worried about it at all. The reason the caps break is because the stock crank is flexing all over the place. Get rid of the flex and the caps will hold up fine. That is how I see it anyway.

?

If it comes down to one or the other I would go steel crank over caps every time. That is how I did my 4.1L build and am not too worried about it at all. The reason the caps break is because the stock crank is flexing all over the place. Get rid of the flex and the caps will hold up fine. That is how I see it anyway.

PM sent