Steel main caps

wb_7354

Can steel main caps be re-used? after being installed and align bored to fit block "A" can they be re-used and align bored to fit block "B"? Or are they a one time use? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are not a simple swap in and go thing but no reason you shouldnt be able to reuse in block B with same prep of facing them, fitting to registers and then boring like when they were installed in block A.

they are not a simple swap in and go thing but no reason you shouldnt be able to reuse in block B with same prep of facing them, fitting to registers and then boring like when they were installed in block A.

In my limited knowledge my consideration is that if they were fitted for block A and block B did not require to have as much material removed from the caps that would make them too sloppy and not usable in block B. Idk?

The money you would have to spend at a machine shop to properly fit them to another block would not be worth it. I would just buy another set.

I see no problem why they can't be used. They're just a block of steel with a half moon in them.

Any machine shop that can line bore a block can certainly dress a cap face. (as long as the first block didn't require a buttload of metal removal on the sides of the caps on the first install)

Not sure if this would be common but my caps had more material removed from one side v/s the other. Crank center line is good I think the registers were machined off center.

Hmm. You guys have me wondering again. I guess maybe try to see if they'll work. If not buy new.

Not sure if this would be common but my caps had more material removed from one side v/s the other. Crank center line is good I think the registers were machined off center.
Had same issue, got another set that were right.

New billet caps have a large mismatch.......lots of extra material in the register and in the main bore itself. The extra material gets removed during the fitting process and line bore. That makes the cap unique to the block.......it also makes it difficult to re-use the cap on another block.

Having said that:
I have successfully installed used billet caps on one block. I have another 2 sets of billet caps that have come off scrap blocks. I have not found a block yet that either set will fit without massive amounts of rework. As a machinist, I would always prefer starting with a fresh set of caps and fitting them to the block then doing the line bore work.

I just did a write up on this on my Facebook page. Dave is 100% correct and I have never reused a set but it "could be done" a few quick measurement will tell.