Stock ignition vs distributor set-up

Bringing this back....There are 2 dist. setups for sale at the moment. Can someone answer the original question....if there is an answer?

I think the main argument was being able to use a two step rev limiter with a distributor over the stock coil pack setup. Although, I run a coil pack system and can run a two step rev limiter with fuel drop, ignition retard, and/or spark drop, or a combination of all three. Not exactly sure what the limitations are with the stock system.

I think the main argument was being able to use a two step rev limiter with a distributor over the stock coil pack setup. Although, I run a coil pack system and can run a two step rev limiter with fuel drop, ignition retard, and/or spark drop, or a combination of all three. Not exactly sure what the limitations are with the stock system.

There are two steps and retards available from Bob Bailey that work really well. I used mine into the 8's but not sure were the limit will be on performance with the stock system. I'm thinking it will be cylinder pressure/boost limited at some point.
AG.

Different for everyone and your preferences. The stock ignition is pretty darn good and actually reliable. I would say run it until you think it is an issue. I used the dis-4 with stock ignition to mid 8's. I had a problem that I didn't know what it was so I changed ten different things at once to be 'safe'. One of those things was the ignition and it was not the problem. The car does start easier though and there is something to be said for the simplicity of the distributor.
For what it's worth, with some patience for fitment, I got the distributor to fit with all the original brackets, tensioner, and a/c.

Different for everyone and your preferences. The stock ignition is pretty darn good and actually reliable. I would say run it until you think it is an issue. I used the dis-4 with stock ignition to mid 8's. I had a problem that I didn't know what it was so I changed ten different things at once to be 'safe'. One of those things was the ignition and it was not the problem. The car does start easier though and there is something to be said for the simplicity of the distributor.
For what it's worth, with some patience for fitment, I got the distributor to fit with all the original brackets, tensioner, and a/c.
What ignition box are you running?
AG

I am interested to see how far the stock ignition will go on E85. I found the limits of the dizzy with a crane Hi6, which has gone 8.0's in TS0 cars. I switched to a MSD 7al.

I am interested to see how far the stock ignition will go on E85. I found the limits of the dizzy with a crane Hi6, which has gone 8.0's in TS0 cars. I switched to a MSD 7al.
Honestly, I would like to know too but on gas, just not on my car. Still undecided between COP and distributer.
AG.

A distributor is a wearing item, and the sparks inside create a lot of noise. If I had a maf in the car it would not run very well with it, or even the stock ecu had noise issues.. However, I prefer to use it as you don;t have to worry about random module problems over the years. The XFI has no noise problems with it ...

I will see if a well known racer who ran a twin turbo car can take an engine pic, the car ran deep on the sevens with a coil pack on it.

I will see if a well known racer who ran a twin turbo car can take an engine pic, the car ran deep on the sevens with a coil pack on it.

I believe it is possible, but when the modules heat up over the years they will fail, I;ve seen new ones from GM out of the box defective, and people chasing a misfires they never sort out, and the fast XFI rev limiter won;t work right with the stock module, which could do damage. The distributor does have disadvantages though, but it still works with good results.