Stock heat shield turbos..

Turbo6Smackdown

Anyone have a list, or know where I could find one, that tells all of the turbos out there, that will fit underneath a stock heat shield?

Fitting under heat shield

Anyone have a list, or know where I could find one, that tells all of the turbos out there, that will fit underneath a stock heat shield?

I may be getting a 6776 BB model. and Jack Cotton tells me that that one will fit under the std heat shield. My shield has already been trimmed to accomodate the 3" DP that Steve Kaminski built for me for my TTA. I think the PTE 54 & 63 also fit under the shield. An old TA-63 I had would also fit. However, I'm not sure about the Turbonetics turbos. I have a 60 TN turbo, which isn't all that big, and it won't fit.

70GTQ DBB under cover ....

Picture701.jpg

2QUICK2B6,

Please tell me you have your Nitrous nozzle capped off?
Or are you running it fully opened as in your picture?

Turbo6Smackdown,

Pretty much all of the vendors who sell direct bolt on Buick 3 bolt turbos offer the specific dog eared bracket, which attaches to the heat shield "question mark" bracket. PTE can make you a PT76 turbo with that bracket. The biggest concern when running the heat shield, is which oil feed line are you going to run and if you are running water lines. Slight modifications may be required to the heat shield.
HTH

Patrick

I see. Good info. So to recap, I have to watch the A. oil line, B. the water lines, and the dog eared bracket. (which is...? lol)

Here ya go.

heatshieldbrackets.jpg

And depending on if your turbo is dual ball bearing and needs water lines, you might have to notch the back of your heat shield to clear the lines.
Here's couple of pics.

pt6776-5.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

And if you run PTE's oil line specific for dual ball bearing turbos, you might have to notch the top of the heat shield to clear the line like this.

7-22-07305.jpg

Not so, if you are running the Oil Filter relocation kit from PTE.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

On my new 62-065 double BB turbo, I had a low profile oil feed line made out of a SS 90 deg fitting and teflon hose. I had to tweak it down to about 85 deg to clear.

Happy spooling.
Mike Barnard

62-65turbo003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

62-65turbo002.jpg

2QUICK2B6,

Please tell me you have your Nitrous nozzle capped off?
Or are you running it fully opened as in your picture?

Patrick

Its capped off now, that was a pic taken when the engine was put back in.
The intake hose doesnt have a clamp on it in that pic either. thanks for looking out

Ok, what about a list of turbos, that COMPLETELY fit under a BONE STOCK, NON CUT UP heat shield. What the scoop.

pretty much any 3 inch downpipe you will have to trim the side of the cover or buy an aftermarket one that is already cut..

Ok, gotta bring it back. Has anyone yet to date made a list of turbos that don't require any special mods to the turbo itself, that fit under the stock heat shield? (that is of course already cut for a terry houston style downpipe.)

Any 3 bolt turbine housing turbo with the factory mounting bracket in place will fit the factory shield. From a te/ta34 to a pt7668