Stock GN vs SRT-4???

Now, can you refute that? specifically I mean bish

Huh:confused: I wasn't arguing with you. I just stated I've actually seen them run at my track. Not bad, but still, "you can't polish a turd." :D

FWD is just not for me....

Originally posted by bishir
I know a guy in town that races his SRT and he's running 8.6 now in the 1/8th with mods. All of his stock runs were 9.1s 9.2s and that was the most he could get after multiple passes. My GN ran a 9.1 first pass stock then I broke into the 8s on stock tires! GN beats SRT hands down!

Also, he told me the new SRT turbo upgrade kit is out..... ONLY 3000 DOLLARS!
:eek:

By the time somebody needs the turbo upgrade kit, they'll already be running 11s.

Also, I bet that SRT-4 was trapping at the same mph as you were. Can you remember?

Like I said, the GN would initially get the advantage. If your track were a 1/4 mile, he'd most likely start reeling you in.

UV: Good addition :)

*waits for I eat Z06 to refute UV with ultimate boner remark of "It's still a Neon."*

your track were a 1/4 mile, he'd most likely start reeling you in.

Nope, because my GN isn't stock anymore. In fact, He's spent twice the amount I did and he's still slower. I used the rest of my money to take my wife out. I seriously am starting to think some of you should sell me your GNs and go buy some neons! :p

Originally posted by bishir
Huh:confused: I wasn't arguing with you. I just stated I've actually seen them run at my track.
I wasn't argueing with you either...look to whom I qouted in the post above ;)

it's fine if you would rather not drive a FWD....but as far as your "it cost less to mod" logic:

any turbocharged car is easy and inexpensive to mod if you know what your doing (IE me in a scrapyard could put together a 12 sec turbododge in a few days easy...) but most buy the stage kits, etc where it's market demand/capitalism at it's finest. They charge alot because they can. Face it, most who are buying the srt-4's aren't car/tech/dirt under the fingernail guys....they need kits to spell it out for them (and most new sports compact enthusiast in general.

Put it this way...if I bought an srt-4, I would probably use but a few items from the "stage" kits.

As far as the original ? of srt-4 vs GN, I can attest to two srt-4's that have broken into the 13's at my track (Great Lakes Dragaway) with the fastest going 13.7xx@102mph :)eek: ) and I can't say that I've ever seen a stock GN at the track...but remeber most guys telling me in the early days (early 90's) telling me he started at 14.1@97mph (give or take a few tenths) which seems damn quick considering the era the car was built...even for any era (face it, mid/late 80's sucked....one could have ruled at high 14's!!!)

I hate to get into it.But this belief that all these fast and furious wanna be's keep on deluding them.

Thats like me saying that if someone made a big block with a turbo and we both spent the same amount of money.Both running the same psi of boost, getting great traction etc.That with his car weighing 400 lbs more then mine then I would keep up.

It just wouldn't happen!!

The same thing with a neon versus a GN.
If you are both running the same boost numbers and both have good flowing exhaust and both get great traction the neon is gonna lose.Same thing with the wrx or evo.

The statment for there is no substitute for cubic inch still is a valid point no matter how many movies they put out.Or how much brainwashing they do.

I am glad that it is understood that no body is arguin, just statin facts and opinions. Dodge did alot to get the neon where it is right now. They really is pushing this car from the factory. Since dodge did that the tuners will have to put alot of time and money into designing parts to surpass OEM. It wont be cheap but, there is always more power to get out of a stock car. Wonder how strong their drive shafts are? You can find gobs of info on SRT's in most of the recent car magazines. But other companies didnt go as far as dodge did. If you look at a Subaru downpipe it dosnt have a bell-mouth. It has a flat plate behind the wastegate that forces the exhaust over to the pipe = less power. Cheap power mod there with a new down pipe. I still dont like the neon, and think that Subies and GN's are the **** in their standings.

If you are gonna call the SRT4 a Neon... then you have to call the
Grand National a Regal...

Just the way it is.

~castrol

Z06 killer----in your dream

The Car is SRT no **** badges. for 2004 Just like the regular regal that became Grand National , SS Monte Carlo and the list go on and on.. But for your infomation that the 4 cylinder is maxx out no way... The SV0 Mustang 4 cylinder was max out by ford at 200 horses but in ford forum street driven they running low 9 to 10 sec over 500 horsepower. Your always talking **** about the neon sound like you got smoke by one. If you worried about winter driving why not Hummer piece of crap 6.5 diesel with top speed of 65 miles per hour.... should have gotten a H2 with a 350 to run anyspeed you like and half price. Oh it must be your parents.. cars. WRX are already know for there tranny and headgasket problems because the engine is all alumimum. Causing the head bolts to stripout easy. You need to grow up know what your talking about before posting..

Z06 killer----in your dream

The Car is SRT no **** badges. for 2004 Just like the regular regal that became Grand National , SS Monte Carlo and the list go on and on.. But for your infomation that the 4 cylinder is maxx out no way... The SV0 Mustang 4 cylinder was max out by ford at 200 horses but in ford forum street driven they running low 9 to 10 sec over 500 horsepower. Your always talking **** about the neon sound like you got smoke by one. If you worried about winter driving why not Hummer piece of crap 6.5 diesel with top speed of 65 miles per hour.... should have gotten a H2 with a 350 to run anyspeed you like and half price. Oh it must be your parents.. cars. WRX are already know for there tranny and headgasket problems because the engine is all alumimum. Causing the head bolts to stripout easy. You need to grow up know what your talking about before posting..

Scott I notice you had 2 supercoupe T-bird. Why waste anymore time in the engine and drop a 5.0 litre crate engine and be ahead of the game.with all the money tie up on those 2 you could have
had a buick grandnational and be ready to race the SRT..

Buick t-type
Dodge Cummins diesel 650 * 950 tq
SRT 2004 Lighting blue

Re: Z06 killer----in your dream

Originally posted by junkyard t
If you worried about winter driving why not Hummer piece of crap 6.5 diesel with top speed of 65 miles per hour.... should have gotten a H2 with a 350 to run anyspeed you like and half price.

This isnt' really English but I'll try to make an assumption as to what you're saying...

He probably wants to have the H1 so he can actually off road, or climb over small things like Neons... I've seen Mini Coopers that off-road better than the new H2's. ;)

Originally posted by tlturbo
Repeat after me ------

TURBO BUICK BOARD
TURBO BUICK BOARD
TURBO BUICK BOARD

Enough already

THANK YOU!!!

there is a place for this discussion, i don't know where but there is. look at what your all saying, an srt can beat a wrx, and no a wrx will beat a srt, i would say who cares but a lot of you must (not that thats bad) give me a chance to line up aginst either of thoes cars and i'll give them a run for their money, even with my crappy turbo that barely works, give me a week and a new turbo and i'll have them wondering how their $30k car(i don't know EXACT prices, sorry) got beat by a $7k grandma car from the 80's. I'm by no means saying i have super fast car, i probably have one of the slower gn's here but even still i'd be confident enough to race any of them at the track. might even try to put a few bucks on it :)

Whats the big deal? If you don't like this thread ignore it! Pepole on this board usually have more than just a Buick! I think it's pretty cool to discuss other brands also. We have Turbo Buicks,Talons and now a SRT so I for one enjoy reading about other cars. This thread reminds me of all the nay sayers when my son started building his Talon" It will never make as much horsepower as a V6,it will break parts ,etc". Well 604 whp later they still look for things to pick at. So let the Scooby doo guys have there fun and when the SRTs start to evolve we will see who laughs then.

Well I can make more power than most crate 5.0's and even 347 strokers with the stuff I already have, just need some substantial blower porting and a stronger bottom end, more effiecient intercooler, and some more boost.

look at this graph: SC dyno chart

That's RWHP w/ and w/o nitrous on a forged 4.2L stroker motor, using and air/water IC, big valve heads, much more agressive cam, and a highly ported supercharger w/ a lot of overdrive for more boost. The car that this engine resides in runs 11.12 in the 1/4 mile w/ 4.11 gears and hoosier slicks. I posted a video of this car in the kill section on this site so check it out. He's heading to the track tomorrow to try and break into the 10's.

I like the 5.0 engine, just wouldn't want one in my cars.

Originally posted by Randy Greenoe
Whats the big deal? If you don't like this thread ignore it! Pepole on this board usually have more than just a Buick! I think it's pretty cool to discuss other brands also. We have Turbo Buicks,Talons and now a SRT so I for one enjoy reading about other cars. This thread reminds me of all the nay sayers when my son started building his Talon" It will never make as much horsepower as a V6,it will break parts ,etc". Well 604 whp later they still look for things to pick at. So let the Scooby doo guys have there fun and when the SRTs start to evolve we will see who laughs then.

Amen. I always pictured the people who say **** like "this is a ____ board, you can only talk about ____" as these ignorant people who feel threatened when their favorite car isn't getting the spotlight.

And this thread started out as GN vs. SRT-4.

i said before that i think its cool that peopel are into more than just buicks, and that they like these new cars for what they are not "just some other rice burner" if i'm not mistakesn i think i said that twice, if not this makes 2.

however, you are arguing betweed an srt and a wrx, saying the same thing over and over again (i know thats what i'm doing tryign to explain this too, not tryign to be hypocrytical) what i ment to say and maybe didn't get out the way i wanted it to is these cars are all fast, not only faster than your average car but fast enough to deserve some respect, and they both have my respect. arguing over which one is better will never have an end, it comed down to personal preference, this isn't comparing a camero to a geo, these cars are really close in a lot of ways. it really comes down to what do you want in a car? sure one might be better more reliable, where as one is cheaper. do you want a reliable car, or do you plan to sell it soon? thoes are questions that there are no answers to, you can debate forever and never get anywhere, its asking what is the best color (aside from balck :D ) its a personal choice.

thats all i'm saying, yo guys are going on and on about which car is better for YOU and why, and other people can't see that, because there not you.

I eat Z06:
obviously you missed it the first time soooo
Supra's, Skylines, 300zx, Lexus sc300T, and 3000gts aren't in the sport compact class...they are in a high end import class designed to beat and rival each other and higher end domestic cars..ie(camaro,T/A, mustang and vette) all of these cars exercise the option of forced induction, have v6's/i6's, have over 300hp, expensive, well made, are good for top end, handle well and are the length and weight of a camaro....RX-7's,8's and mr2 are autocross cars in that retrospect some Porsche cars could be considered sport compacts because of their size...

Sinful6:
A mustang is a top end domestic cars…there are only about 4-5 models that compete actively in the same price range 30K-50K…vette, stang, camaro, trans-am

Scott Long
”One of my friends had 70 Chevelle, my uncle has a 69 Charger R/T I grew up riding in, a lot of Monte SS, Camaro Z28's, Mustang GT's, and other cars were what I was raised around. The only import I've ever owned was an Audi but it was german, awd, and luxury so I liked it. I wouldn't want a jap import.”

Why not 320hp/33lbs torque out of a 3200lbs-3500lbs import is still the same as if it came from chevy to matter where the car is from…its all just a name! everyone is merging with everyone..and the corvette always had some italian influence…the supra makes 320hp/33lbs torque out of an 3L turbo Inline 6…and the GN uses a 3.8L T V6..only diff is a lot of imports handle great and can do top end 150mph+ too!!

SyHopeful..oh yess the “2000 240sx s15” is fast and very quick…2L I4 turbo RWD 6 speed 250hp..240lbs torque weighs 2700lbs

Dont even compare those two trucks. The H1 is a class III vehicle that surpasses any other off road vehicle. The H2 is a suburban with shorter overhangs, and a e-locker out back. My H1 is for off road only. In the past year it has been on the road for maybee 100 miles. Mostly to go get diesel. The truck tops out at a ligtning speed of 83 mph. No more paint on the side of the truck from trails. Its also a 1998 (pre GM) so it was much cheaper than the new ones, and joins the buick with no abs or air bags. If I had a H2 it would most likely last about a week. And the 396 c.i. motor drinks too mutch for my budget. GM governs all their fullsize trucks at 99. Except for the Escalade (not real shure on how fast that goes). I just need to start playin with that diesel. 1000 ft/lb of torque wouldn't be overkill. Besides nobody buys a Hummer for on road driving. They suck at it.

Nick

Just FYI... for what its worth.
100% stock...down to the jack and spare in the trunk.
Tires at 25 psi.

First run:

RT: ----- 1.159
60' ----- 2.326
330 ---- 6.136
1/8 ----- 9.270
mph --- 79.61
1000 -- 11.931
1/4 ---- 14.194
MPH -- 99.47

Tree caught me sleeping. I was waiting for the yellows, and it went
straight to green. This I was not expecting, so I basically took off
from idle.

Second run:

RT: ----- 0.932
60' ----- 2.309
330 ---- 6.075
1/8 ----- 9.196
mph --- 79.87
1000 -- 11.871
1/4 ---- 14.147
MPH -- 99.04

Wheel hopped like a mutha. Way too hot of a launch. If the wait
hadn't been over an hour to run again, I would have made maybe
one more pass. I just KNEW I could get 13's out of it...

Oh well, maybe next time.

1500 miles on it so far.

Thought you guys might like to know.

~castrol