Stock Drive Shaft

Texas gn

How much will she take? I am headed to the track tonight and started thing about the bad stuff...(i hate when i do that)...I installed a loop but the shaft is untouched. I am looking for some 1.6 60 ft times...

Repeated high 1.6 60 foots is enough to break a stock axle too. I saw a GN break 2 driveshafts in 1 day running 1.5 60 foots for low 10's.

Repeated high 1.6 60 foots is enough to break a stock axle too. I saw a GN break 2 driveshafts in 1 day running 1.5 60 foots for low 10's.
Kinda thought so...guess i need to think about some more parts soon. The car hooks good , guess we will see if the track will hold it!

I was told anything over 450-500 ft lbs or 1.80 60 fts with drag radials you'd want to at minimum upgrade to 1350 joints and use a loop. I saw a GN on the dyno that made 500ft lbs and it spit the driveshaft out and sent it through the wall. If you have a converter that can lock at WOT you really should consider a new driveshaft.

I've had many, many sub 1.6 60' times on my stock driveshaft. On 26" and 28" DRs and slicks. Only thing upgraded are solid universal joints.

My humble opinion is that stock drive shafts are highly variable. I have at least 50 passes with slicks on my bone stock shaft and U-joints, with some 60-foot times in the 1.6's. A friend in my club broke his shaft near the finish line one day and put a hole through his floor board on a high-11 second car that didn't have many passes on it. I think there is a lot of variability shaft to shaft, and any wear, dents, or abuse put on the shaft by previous owners definitely comes into play.

Before I go back to the track, I'm planning to upgrade mine to be safe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

If you use a trans brake it will brake sooner than later....if no trans brake it will still brake eventually especially if you plan running sub 1.6 1.7 60ft times. If the stocker brakes during a launch you are certain to have more damage than just a broken driveshaft and/or u joints. I found out the hard way at Norwalk a few yrs back. Deren

I'm probably on borrowed time with my stock shaft. I have probably 100 passes on a 1.6 or lower. So far my best being a 1.45 with foot brake. I do have aftermarket axles.

The biggest problem I have seen on cars that will 60 foot in the low 1.5 and 1.4 second range with a stock shaft is the splines twisting in the front yoke making it hard to get the drive shaft out. If you can 60' in the 1.5 range would be a good idea to upgrade, but you need 1350 joints, and a good yoke also IMO.

My driveshaft broke at the rear yoke about 30 feet out after a hard launch with drag radials at the track, wiped out my exhaust system and ripped the floor up abit under the back seat.
It was a cromoly shaft with stock u joints. Trying to decide how heavy to go now.

i bought a car and had it a few weeks and wasnt super familiar with the car except for the fact it ran great on the street. took it to the track and bolted the same slicks that have been at least 6 of my cars. i put the ebrake to the floor and the gas pedal and brake pedal too! i was holding about 15# at the line then BOOM !!!! was pushed off the line the u joint broke which broke the yoke and also snapped the whole case on the tranny on the fresh tranny. the driveshaft was beat up from whacking the floor and the floor was a little dented. i'm glad the car never got moving off the line or things would of been worse. the point here is before you go to the track always make sure you dont have greaseable ujoints i learned my lesson. i have made many mid to high 11's of stock shafts with stock ujoints