Stock block question?

Boostisgood

Which is easier on a stock block?

1. 600 hp with 18 psi

2. 600 hp with 27psi

Is it easier on the stock block to produce the same power but at less boost? Does it make a difference? Is it POWER or BOOST that tears apart the stock bottom end? Thanks

Horsepower destroys the stock block, not boost. If you have a small little 206/206 cam and ported stock iron heads you'll have to run more boost to run the same times as a TR that was built with a 214/214 billet roller with GN1 aluminum heads, but if both cars have the same weight and are running the same times they both are making the same horsepower which if over 600 would be pushing the limits of a stock block 3.8. From what I've seen it's easier to run a high duration cam and good flowing heads and less boost to run low 11's to high 10's in the sense that it's easier to keep detonation from occuring at lower boost levels. A lot of guys can't seem to keep the heads from lifting on these cars when the boost is over 30lbs, although, I've seen a couple of guys down here that have had good results from running small cams and iron heads with 30+lbs of boost, but these guys know how to tune for high boost and know the risks they are taking by running at these crazy boost levels. So, to answer your question if you have a choice between 600hp with 18psi or 600hp with 27psi I would go for 18psi cause it will be easier to tune for. Just my .02 :)

Also, if detonation occurs at 18psi it will be a lot less harmful compared to detonation occuring at 27psi.