Stock appearing GN Downpipes

Forcedfed

BOOST ADDICT
I already have a 3" stock appearing Kirban down pipe on my GN. The problem is that it is a two piece design, after I installed it I marked the two pieces where they met then I removed it and had it welded up. Then I sent it out for Jet-Hot coating. I was really excited when I got it back until I installed it. Something went wrong along the way... either the welder didn't line the two two pieces up exactly like I marked it (even though I watched him weld it), or the pipe somehow got warped in the baking process. The problem is that I can't get the flange to butt up flat against the turbo elbow. I got the two bolts on the flange nice and tight but there is a little exhaust smoke that escapes from one side, taking a closer look at it proved that it's not seating perfectly flat against the elbow on one side. The reason it's not seating properly is because the pipe is rubbing against the chassis which is not letting me line up the flange to the elbow. The only way to fix that would be to hammer the hell out of the pipe where it comes in contact with the chassis. That would give me a little room twist the top of the pipe flat with the elbow. I really don't want to bash the heck out of the pipe and restrict the flow, not to mention chip the coating. Or I could strip the pipe down again, unweld it and start all over again.
This seems like an awefully long explanation just to ask one simple question...... Does anyone make a stock appearing 3" down pipe in a "ONE PIECE" design that will bolt up to the stock turbo elbow???? That would've eliminated a lot of frustrations. Anybody have part numbers I would really appreciate it.:confused:

I've heard of too many problems with those pipes so I'm staying away from them. Probably the only way for it to work would be to mount it the way you want (2 pieces with clamp), check for leaks and chassis clearance then tack weld it right there then take off to finsh. I think some people are using red RVT to help with the seal to the elbow.

try this..
Remove the pipe at the elbow and take a file and make sure the flange where it mates to the elbow perfectly flat. Then remove the elbow at turbo and then bolt on the downpipe to the elbow.. This will insure that the seal between the dp and the elbow is leak free. Then loosten the dp where it clamps to the converter and then bolt on the elbow/dp to the turbo.. Hopefully this will work..

Ran into just about the same problem on my T...........I think I'm just going to throw the thing into the trash:(

Just get a used ATR 2.5" stock replacement. It's stainless so it will look as good now as it did 2 days after the original owner bolted it on 10 years ago.

Should only set you back about $100. Put a wanted ad in the parts wanted section.

In back to back testing at Bristol a few years ago, the 2.5" stock replacement was only .05 seconds and 1.5 mph slower than a 3" Terry Houston DP running 11.7's and .8's.

UNGN: I take it ATR doesn't make the stock replacement 2.5" downpipes any more?

FLYING GN: Putting it together the way you described would insure that everything is flush but then I would have to hammer the heck out of it to clear the chassis (solve one problem to create another).

PRONTO: Good idea, I might end up taking the pipe back out again, stripping the coating off, un-welding it, then putting it both pieces on the car and weldeding it back up while it's still bolted in to insure that it's in the right place like you said. I was trying to avoid doing all that.

If all else fails, I'll follow V8KILLER's advise and trash it. I can't believe there's no one making one piece 3" stock appearing down pipes that bolt right in.:confused:

Ya, you would think that it wouldn't be that tough to do and not as expensive as the thdp or a mease.

Originally posted by Forcedfed
UNGN: I take it ATR doesn't make the stock replacement 2.5" downpipes any more?

Yes they do. Any ATR vendor can get you one. I bought mine new from Mike McCoy for around $110 if I can remember right.
Only problem was trimming an inch off the end to fit into my cat right. No sealing problems. I use it with a hogged out elbow.

HTH

Joel