stock 5.3 swap

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
Since 5.3 and 4.8 go for stupid cheap around here, I've decided if I gotta put much money into the 305 el camino I bought for the wife I'd like to do the swap. I've read some people say they got 4k into the swap and others say they got less than the price of a rebuild sbc.

I'd like to just do a stock 5.3 with maybe a cam swap. Plan on using a monte ss trans. Just wanna make a reliable driver out of it and have a/c. I know the truck oil pan will work along with the accessories. SBC brackets can be modified to bolt onto the block. I did find out the a/c compressor doesn't fit. Can the frame be notched and boxed in or is this a no go no matter what? What about the exhaust manifolds and downpipes?

I've seen plenty of swap threads but nothing really on a budget and nothing from start to finish that is really detailed. Just a bunch of part numbers. I'd like to do as much as possible myself, doesn't make sense to have 5k+ into a car that is worth half that.

Subsribed...i would love to ls and turbo a regal body one day....

I'm not really looking to turbo, but I'm sure it all applies. Just want a simple swap.

my build thread is in my Sig. I had $3600 in the total 6.0L Swap (88mm turbo and 60mm JGS WG included in that price). So without the Turbo, WG, or $1100 LQ4 engine ... I don't see why you can't do the total 5.3L swap for under $2k.

Ac can be done with some cutting & welding. I'll be under 3k with a turbo 6l doing the work myself.

I heat two sides to the story. I see threads where people have a hell of a time and others where some say it's too easy not to do it. I'll check out your thread. Is there anything special that needs to be done to the wiring and pcm?

It's not what I would call easy, but it can be done with some sweat and a few $$$. It's a lot more time consuming than popping the old motor out and stabbing the new one back in and firing it up, that's for sure!

If you can wrangle the 4L60E with the 5.3, I'd suggest you do that. MUCH easier to set up.
What yr "El Camel" is this? I'm doing an 85, with a 6.0/05 GTO combo, and will be able to shoot some pics for you.

When you get the engine, be sure to get all the harness, [DO NOT let them cut it!], the pcm, trans dipstick, exh manifolds with the head pipes cut below the O2's, engine accessories, yada, yadda...

Have fun!

Same year I got! It's 2 tone gray with the conquista package. I already got rear GN suspension in it, just gotta finish up the front sometime and get a steering box from my buddy. Chuck, do you have a thread started?

The adaptor plates for mounts look like they could be easily made with some measuring. WHat oil pan is everyone using?

I'm using the truck pan. It fits with the 1" setback plates and sbc mounts. Hangs pretty low though....

WHich crossmember are you guys using for the 4l60 trans? Are there any that bolt up with little modification? How about the shift linkage?

Not sure about a 4l60e, I am using a th350 which means the crossmember from the metric 200 cars fits it great, and that's what I'm using.