still overheating

Jackie grabos

ok, just got my car back from the shop. had iac valve, oil pressure sender, ps pump, lower rad hose, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets replaced. i had stock manifold put on to fix exhaust leaks, walboro fuel pump and hot wire, air leaks at maf sensor and vacuum leaks fixed or installed. the car runs like a different car, turbo spools good now and runs way better. only problem is car is running hot. i am in houston so it is over 100 heat index everyday. i have extender chip, front mount intercooler, new aluminum radiator and dual spal fans. i have installed 160 degree thermostat. car does not run above 180-185 when sitting after start up after 20 min. fans are coming on at 170. the only thing not replaced is water pump. wouldn't it overheat sitting if water pump? how do i tell if head gasket is bad? i have read this is a symptom. surely they would have caught this at shop when evaluating car? it is a reputable shop, any help appreciated. hoping it is just pump. found one for 40 bucks and going to try to change this weekend. sucks to get the car finally running right and cannot drive it. :confused:

oh, forgot. car is running about 210 and stops there. that is driving about 60 mph cruising, but car sounds awful, but fine when temp is lower.

What do you mean "sounds awful"? When it gets hot it is making noise? You running coolant or water? Water/coolant additive like RMI-25 or purple ice? You could try a high volume water pump from TA performance (I think they still sell them). If my water pump ever goes out, I would buy one of those instead of an Auto Zone cheapie.

Are the fans running when you are doing 60 MPH? They should be off at 40-45.

It is a ticking noise like an exhaust leak. Does not make noise until car is running over200ish. I'm on a budget. Will the commercial store pump suffice?

I'm not sure if they run at 60mph. When I stop and turn car off they run until turned off. The chip is set to turn on at around 170. I think it runs until the car cools below the set temp, but not sure.

I would do a compression test just to make myself feel a little better. If you don't have the tester, you can rent for free from Auto Zone.

Yes, the water pump from somewhere else will work, but may not be the issue. Can you see water flowing inside the rad with cap off and car running?

I have not looked. I guess I need to remove cap and start car? How long should it take? If moving I assume this means water pump is good? Thanks

What do you mean "sounds awful"? When it gets hot it is making noise? You running coolant or water? Water/coolant additive like RMI-25 or purple ice? You could try a high volume water pump from TA performance (I think they still sell them). If my water pump ever goes out, I would buy one of those instead of an Auto Zone cheapie.

I got a genuine AC/Delco water pump for my 87 T Type for $41 at Monument Chev. But I got a hook-up there.

Is there a way to tell if head gasket is blown?

Milky oil, dirty coolant, oil/coolant mixed, lots of blowby at the breathers, water out tailpipe, etc, etc, etc. Could be all symptoms, a few, one, or none.

I have not looked. I guess I need to remove cap and start car? How long should it take? If moving I assume this means water pump is good? Thanks

Yes, remove cap, start car, see how much it flows. Once tstat opens you should see flow. If you see flow, the water pump is pumping.

It is a ticking noise like an exhaust leak. Does not make noise until car is running over200ish. I'm on a budget. Will the commercial store pump suffice?

How is the oil pressure when it is making this noise???

Have you changed anything recently that could be the culprit? I would even consider taking an old tstat and clipping the side towers off, just using the outer ring to slow the flow, but not enough to cause problems. I have had luck with this on other cars. Never had the issue with the Buick, although I don't have a front mount either...

Will try in the morning, thanks. Will look for bubble also. Oil is clean a nd so is coolant. No water at tail pipe either.

Will try in the morning, thanks. Will look for bubble also. Oil is clean a nd so is coolant. No water at tail pipe either.

Good luck brother. Keep posting up what you find, and I am sure we will all keep posting what to look for, what to check, etc.

? Is

Are your fans pulling ? Do they turn in the right direction? This could also be a problem ...

I would check to make sure fans are turning off at speed. It sounds like you're not getting enough air through the radiator potentially. If the car is cool at idle but gets hot on hwy... Also as silly as it sounds, make sure the fans are pulling air not pushing. Sounds funny but I saw it once.

i can feel the air behind the fan as it is running. i believe the fans are 2720cfm and can really feel air being blown. since i have a front munt intercooler wouldn't i want the fans running all the time? going to take the rad cap off and run to make sure no air in system since the lower radiator hose was just changed.

Did you have the FMIC last summer? It could be blocking too much of the air from getting to your radiator.

Is there a way to tell if head gasket is blown?

go to a NAPA there in town and buy a kit called block test kit. it has a tube with a sqeeze ball and some blue liquid. put a bit of blue liquid in the tube and stick the nose of the tube down in the neck of the radiator making sure your not touching the antifreeze or water then use the ball to suck air from radiator through liquid and if it turns yellow yes you have a bad gasket if not your good. IT IS DUMMY PROOF you cant eefffff it up. It is the best tool to have other than a scanmaster with these cars..lol 210 is not that bad and you probably still have a exhause leak check where the crossover bolts up?

Did you have the FMIC last summer? It could be blocking too much of the air from getting to your radiator.

I also have front mount my car was running 220+ and after installing the dual fan setup from gbody the car runs 200-210 when it is 108 outside. I drive mine everyday rain or shine. I would be concerned with the ticking noise not so much the overheating 210 is not that bad when it is 100deg out. Make sure your running antifreeze or some kind of water wetter or purple ice. It will keep the water from boiling and bubbles/steam is what kills them.