still no brake lights

kh440

Jo Bu needs a refill!
Threw another switch in, and looked at the wiring connector on the column and sure enough there was a white wire broken exactly where everyone said it would be. Bypassed the plug and ran a connecting wire to both halves of the white wire in question. And guess what? still no brake lights.

i assume you checked the fuse? i had a brake light issue, but mine wouldnt shut off...i had to adjust the switch so that it touched the pedal...there are two switches on the pedal (if u have cruise) which i'm sure you saw...broken wires would have sent me over the deep end if i was chasing it down, but by jumping yours, they should have come on...do u have the directionals and hazards working in the back?

Have tail, turn and hazard lights all functioning normally and 3rd light still works as well. HAve played with the adjustment on the switch and no luck so far.

the third one works 2? that is weird....its got to be something really stupid...surprised it hasnt happened to me yet..and all the fuses were gd? gd luck

If I remember correctly the hazards and brake lights are on the same fuse, so that rules out the fuse I think. Beyond that I have no freaking idea unless I didn't get a good splice or that circuit doesn't like barrel connectors or...

could be a bad turn signal switch in the colunm. thats what was wrong with my car. the brake light signal goes from the switch on the pedal up the column thru the turnsignal switch and then back down. thus if the turn signal switch is bad,it wont send the signal back down.

That circuit goes through the column and is a part of the signal and hazard mechanism.

Are the signals lights working?

Do the hazards work?

If for some odd reason the flasher for the hazards has been removed from the car and the button is pushed, you will have this symptom.

Is the button in or out?

Just for grins..check the e/plug connectors in the trunk to make sure they are seated and in good working order...Drivers side trunk in the drop-off toward the taillight...3 plugs and a ground, if i remember right..

GC

Check the yellow and dark green wires which should be the next 2 after the white wire you fixed on the long harmonica type connector attached to the right side of the steering column.

The turn signals are N/C to the brake white wire when off.

If you don't get stop light power on those 2 wires with the blinkers OFF and the brake switch ON, it's the turn signal portion of the turn/hazard switch.

I'd operate and wiggle the turn signal switch with a meter on those 2 wires and a brick on the brake pedal.

Turn signals and hazards are working normally (push the button on the column to engage hazards pull out to disengage). Guess I'll have to dig out the test light and multi-meter and crawl back under the dash again..woo-hoo!

It's gonna be the turn signal switch,the brake light circuit feeds through the turn signal switch,it kinda throws u off because the third brake light works ,but it uses a different circuit.u can try grabing the turn signal switch and pulling it toward you firmly and mashing the brakes at the same time if they work its the turn signal switch.