Still leaking water...need suggestions and some tech info

6pack

T-Time
Alright...I had and still have but not as bad...a water leak from the passenger side of my block. It looked as if the leak was coming from the drain plug...so I installed a new brass drain cock and thought that would cure it.....well went out yesterday morning and it's a little cold out and look under the car and I see antifreeze on the ground. It's not as much as before but still leaking:mad: By the way I have not filled the block back up with antifreeze yet so how could it be leaking from the drain cock? Also has anyone ever installed freeze plugs with the engine still in the car? Anyone know a sure fire way to find the leak? Thanks:(

A cooling system pressure tester will find the leak, it goes on the radiator like a cap you pump until the gauge is at 15psi. and look around. Sometimes you hear it pouring on the floor and sometimes you have to look real closely to find it. As for installing freeze plugs depending on which one it is its usually a B:mad: tch.
But could be done with the right tools. Good luck

Leaking 'freeze' plugs are pretty rare, especially in warmer climates and if the coolant has been maintained. Water and oil leaks can be pretty tricky sometimes. If it is on the right side of the block, have you checked your heater hoses? Feel under them for any wetness, remember the one in the front. If the pressure tester does not work, someone makes coolant dye that you can check with a black light.

You could get the flourescent dye crap, put it in let it swish around (drive it) and break out one of those late 70's blacklights and look around the suspected area.

opps, I didn't read the whole post above, please disregard

Stock Headgaskets? my Cometics leaked water out the side but GM sealant tabs cured it.

The passenger side freeze plug is easy to get to from underneath. The driver side is a bit tougher but can be done if you drop the starter (2 bolts) although it's kinda hard to get a wrench on it.

Sully

Thanks for the replies. I to thought that it was rare for a freeze plug to leak..but there is nothing else there to leak except the drain plug and freeze plug. I also checked the heater hoses and they are dry. Will the pressure tester work on a car that will not crank at the moment and the block is also not full of coolant? I am not sure about the head gaskets as I suspect the engine has been rebuilt in the past. But there is no water running down the side of the block from the top...the water seems to come from the area of the drain plug and runs back towards the starter. Hey Sully the starter is on the passenger side:D at least on my car it is:D ;) Sorry couldn't resist that:) The starter is already out as is the cross over pipe. I also went out and put card board under it yesterday and this morning it is dry....so it seems it does not leak all the time but I hate leaks:mad: Thanks again guys

Doh... everything is backwards when laying on the ground looking up at your car. Just swap those sides. I was probably talking about the wrong plug anyway :D

Sully

The pressure tester will work without cranking. But you will need to fill the cooling system with some sort of fluid.

Originally posted by V6 Beast
Doh... everything is backwards when laying on the ground looking up at your car. Just swap those sides. I was probably talking about the wrong plug anyway :D

Sully

I was just joshing you Sully!:D