Still hitting 200*

jpratt

New aluminum radiator, hybrids fans blowing in the correct direction, distilled water, RMI 25, boxed in radiator, new head gaskets to make sure they are not leaking. Not a clue where to go now.
Just driving around the block my temps are hitting 180 and the fans turn on. Driving on the hwy temps are getting almost to 200.

Whose radiator? Thermostat tested? Waterpump impeller slipping? Lower rad hose collapsing? (throwing out ideas)

Last edited:
RJC megacooler. New thermostat. Dies not look like the lower hose is collapsing.

The sending unit could be a wee bit off, or the gauge. running a big front mount with these hot temps we've had here these past few days wouldn't surprise me to crawl up to 200 once in awhile, but I could be wrong

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Would you consider 200* to be too hot? I did forget that when I replaced the thermostat that all they had was a 180* so I am thinking things are ok. Might have still had an air pocket in front if tstat.

did you drill a steam hole in the thermostat before installing it?

if you really want a 160, just get a SBC and cut it down with tin snips (and drill a steam hole in it :) )

I did a steam hole. I think 180 is fine even though the chip turns of fan at 165 I think.

If you are concerned about running at 200 degrees, just remove the thermostat and it WILL run coolers.

Some people may say it will not allow the water to stay in the radiator long enough for proper cooling, but that is not true for a GN as we have proved this over the years with our weeks of 110 deg temps! :)

You made air-dam to keep air flowing thru rad? Or, it just escapes downward and below the car from the grill, bypassing the radiator?

Box-in that air...

Manage the air flow!

Rmi25 is good for cleaning. Water Wetter is good for cooling. And as stated above, make a dam to force air into the rad.

Dependent on the outside ambient temperature 200 degrees wouldn't be out of the range of normal now we're approaching summer time. Due to the fact that your front mount intercooler is restricting air flow thru the radiator this may be the best you can achieve. 200 degrees won't hurt anything.

Neal

System cold, pull radiator cap, use a turkey baster or drain some to drop the fluid level to expose 3 rows of the core. Then start the car and monitor.....you will see when the Tstat opens you will see level drop some and increased circulation and some steam vapors, while watching the coolant flow reach over and rev the engine a little you should see the coolant blasting through the core. If not the the water pump maybe the culprit and of course if you don't see good cycling of the tstat then its bad as well.
Do you have the Tstat in the proper direction?

Last edited:
Put another thermostat in. If still a problem, pull the water pump and inspect the impeller. When you fill the system with coolant, remove one end of a heater hose at the heater core or metal pipes and most of the air will be pushed out while filling it with coolant.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing until I got all air out of system. Does the upper hose have pressure?

Walter