Sticky valve or piece of dirt in Valve Body?

HyperV6

Guys, I had a BRF rebuilt by a reputable Buick transmission guy about two years ago and installed in my 87 T. When driving home from his shop about 300 miles the transmission started acting up and would not go into 4th gear. I called him after making it home and he told me to take it to a local transmission shop he recommended (he actually paid the bill). Very stand up of the transmission builder. The local shop found the throttle valve to be stuck. Basically the local shop unstuck the throttle valve, adjusted the tv cable, and replaced the pan / fluid.
The transmission worked fine for awhile - just driving it and a few trips to the drag strip in 2008. Last summer I took my car to the drag strip 5 times. On the last 3 times at the track my transmission would act up and not shift correctly. This is what seems to consistantly happen: the first and second drag strip pass the transmission would work correctly and shift good, on usually the third or fourth pass on the 2nd to 3rd gear shift it will hang-up / delay and then shift to third (It will shift without letting off the gas). It seems as if the transmission is flaring on the 2 to 3 shift. If I get another quarter mile pass the transmission shifts good again. I seems to only do this one time on the third or fourth pass at the drag strip. I have had it do the hang-up / delayed shift only once at the drag strip on the 1st to 2nd gear shift (the 2nd to 3rd shift worked fine on that pass).
Now, on the street when it's WOT the hang-up / delayed shifts happens almost 50% of the time. I'll be driving 15 mph, WOT, the trans downshifts to 1st gear, car takes off, then about 50% of the time the trans will hang-up / delay shift into 2nd. When it shifts to 2nd it will hit pretty hard.
The strange thing is when just normal driving around the transmission shifts perfect in all four gears (up shifts and down shifts).
Could there be something sticking in the valve body or a piece of dirt? Any suggestions on what could be causing these problems?

Thanks for any suggestions, Craig

Hang up and flare are different

A Flare shift will feel like its sliiiiding into the next gear and may even go up a lil in rpm between and is normally felt on the 2-3.

Now if it gets to the shift point and stays there no slide just lays on the governor for a second then boom shifts thats not a flare.

A few easy checks...fluid level hot idling in P should be middle of teh back and forth bends on the dipstick thats typically 3/4 qt over.

Try backing the TV cable off 2 clicks and see if it still hangs up.

I cannot run mine all the way tight since it will lay on teh governor if you will for a second. If I back it off a couple of clicks it works like lightning.

turbo nasty, I have the transmission fuild filled as you suggest.

On the tv cable adjustment, are you saying to push in the detent and move the cable housing one or two clicks towards the front of the car or back towards the firewall? I'm having a tough time visualizing which way is correct.

Thanks for the suggestions, Craig

turbo nasty, I have the transmission fuild filled as you suggest.

On the tv cable adjustment, are you saying to push in the detent and move the cable housing one or two clicks towards the front of the car or back towards the firewall? I'm having a tough time visualizing which way is correct.

Thanks for the suggestions, Craig

The way to adjust ...push in half moon circle on teh TV cable then pull cable towards firewall.

Release half moon then go WOT via your hand on the throttle and the cable will click/ratchet into position.

Then go WOT again and the bracket holding the cables should flex a lil at WOT. This is how to set the TV. Release

Now push half moon in and push the cable towards the front of the car a few clicks......now this isnt a half inch......about 3/16 or 1/4 and try there.

If you have it too loose you WILL BURN UP THE TRANS......PERIOD HTH