Stereo CD player recommendations

6banger

Slower Traffic Keep Right
Fellas,
I`m pushing 40 yrs. old and I`m looking for a decent stereo CD (single disc ) player. I`m not into all the lights, chrome, pre-amp, sub -woofers ect. I`ll still be using the stock speakers (just replaced), I don`t need a bass that`ll jar my fillings loose. Anyone that has had good luck with a radio that seems like it`ll fit my needs please let me know. I want the car to be looked at for the car, not the sound system.:D I`ve had good luck in the past with Pioneer Supertuners.

Thanks,
Jim

believe it or not, Pioneer radios still sport the super tuner logo, doesnt mean much though. Pioneer is a great radio, any radio you buy is going to sound pretty much the same, wattage may vary a few here and there, but more or less tend to be the same. The sound difference comes from the crossover built in to the unit, pioneer has a great crossover, as long as you stay with model DEH3600 or higher. They all have high, mid, and low crossovers, and high and low pass filters as well. i prefer kenwwod and pioneer, and if you have a little more money to spend, alpine and clarion are nice radios too, but their entry level radios leave a little to be desired. I dont have much expirience with some brands, ive only worked with major brands in my years, so if anyone else has any feedback, fire away.

Jim here is mine and I love it!!
Radio04.jpg
They are all over eBay. Just do some shopping.. watch some.. and one will come to you for a decent price. Just go on eBay and do a search for "GM radio CD" and plenty will come up. IMO looks best in these cars if your going to upgrade. I put all new Pioneer speakers in my GN (stock sizes) and people get in my car and think I have a sub box it sounds that good. It's got a great pre-amp built in and some have a fan on the back for better cooling. One beauty is you don't have to hack any wires. Go to your local radio shop and they sell an adapter to go from the current harness to the newer GM harness that GM now uses. You'll also need a newer adapter for the antena. I think it took me all of 10 mins to take the old one out, put this one in and turn it on! Nice clean fit and looks almost stock. They sound awesome and last much much better then the ones these cars came with! Post back what you went with! Good Luck!

careful with the radios that have the factory Delco Theftlock though. Some people dont have the code for it, and that just leaves you screwed. Make sure to ask lots of questions when buying.

Most sellers will post something in the aution like "Anti-Theft deactivated" If someone is trying to sell one that's locked out you'll know.. it will be cheaper and the sellers "usually" say when it's locked out. A simple e-mail to the seller asking him if the anti-theft is not activated will usually cure that issue.