Steering Modification Question

nick368

Ok I am tired of the sloppy steering I have on this car. I have changed the idler arm, pitman arm, power steering pump, control arms etc.. But want to know what I can do to clean up the sloppy steering on the GN. Any ideas?

Two things are left, the power steering box and rag joint. You should have started with the steering shaft/rag joint because I can promise you all your slop is coming from that.

Depends on your budget but you have three options for the steering shaft issue. First is replace the rag joint, probably be better but not great. 2nd is the jeep grand cherokee steering shaft mod, it replaces the gn steering shaft with the jeeps, much much better. 3rd is to go with the detroit speed steering arm, its like the jeep arm but a nice billet piece (I have this)

The steering box you have will probably be fine with the upgraded shaft. The GN had a quick ratio one so unless there is an issue your probably ok. If its not you can upgrade to a more modern steering box the 600 (they basically bolt right in except for one hole), a lee rebuilt box or go all out to a rack and pinion.

I went with the lee 600 box from DSE and their steering shaft. You need to tell them in advance if your ordering it because they have to spline the shaft differently. I have no idea how the cherokee shaft and the 600 box would work. In my opinion just get the jeep cherokee shaft and go from there

I did replace the steering box with a quick ratio one already. How much was the Detroit speed steering arm and where did you get it

It was 240, you can get it from dse direct but I suggest you get it from scott on the forum with GNS performance. Its always better to support our forum vendors. You can also go to a junkyard and pull the cherokee shaft for 20 bucks and use that for basically the same result. Also I see the cherokee shafts refurbished and listed on this sites for sale section and on ebay pretty frequently.

The rag joint is slightly sloppy stock, it flexes a bit. After a bit of time and heat your basically turning your wheel significantly before the slack in the rag joint is taken up and starts to actually turn the arm... state of the art 1960's technology. No matter what you have upgraded or replaced, keeping a 25 year old rubber joint in the middle of it is going to give you sloppy steering.

Now they all use swivel joints, like on a socket with swivel, and that has no slack to take up before moving. Basically you move your wheel 1/8 of an inch and that gets translated right to the steering box. Like I said though, just make sure you hit up scott at gns performance for the order, costs you nothing to use the vendors here and he is a great guy

You wont regret it, with a nice fresh box and the steering shaft it feels like rack and pinion. the nice benefit is it gives you more room in the engine compartment in a tight area.

Here is scotts number, 865-680-4008. He is the only DSE rep on the board. Make sure you specify what steering box you have as well.​

I've had some issues with the setting on the input shaft of the gear box. Once in a while it will be set a little to loose and you have to tighten it up. Try the steering shaft first and if it's still got some slop in it PM me and I try to explain how to adjust the bix to help reduce the slop.:)